Southampton boarding: can one person go first?

AspirationalFlyer

Hello everyone, 

Scenario: I’m travelling with my mother on a Fjords cruise on Queen Victoria leaving from Southampton. The cruise is in June 2019. We are on the same booking and sharing a room. We live in different parts of the country and our trains/transport arrive in Southampton quite far apart. I’m scheduled to arrive at least 90 minutes earlier. 

Question: would I be allowed to board first alone? I obviously appreciate my mother would need to check-in too and go through the relevant formalities. Once onboard, could I get off again just before my mother arrives so I can help her with luggage etc.? 

Alternatively, is it all too much hassle and just better to wait with a charged phone and iPad!? I have a feeling it might be, esp. if the weather it good. If the wait becomes less than an hour for any reason I would do just that. 

I am just considering options for now. 

Thanks very much in advance! 

AF

p.s. thanks to everyone that has already got in-touch to say they will be onboard. Looking forward to meeting you! 

6 hours ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

Hello everyone, 

Scenario: I’m travelling with my mother on a Fjords cruise on Queen Victoria leaving from Southampton. The cruise is in June 2019. We are on the same booking and sharing a room. We live in different parts of the country and our trains/transport arrive in Southampton quite far apart. I’m scheduled to arrive at least 90 minutes earlier. 

Question: would I be allowed to board first alone? I obviously appreciate my mother would need to check-in too and go through the relevant formalities. Once onboard, could I get off again just before my mother arrives so I can help her with luggage etc.? 

Alternatively, is it all too much hassle and just better to wait with a charged phone and iPad!? I have a feeling it might be, esp. if the weather it good. If the wait becomes less than an hour for any reason I would do just that. 

I am just considering options for now. 

Thanks very much in advance! 

AF

p.s. thanks to everyone that has already got in-touch to say they will be onboard. Looking forward to meeting you! 

While you could go aboard, if it were my mother, I would wait in the lounge to make sure that she had not problems checking in and would board with her. Going aboard and coming back off might be a bit confusing for the staff who are trying to get passengers check in and boarded.. I try to simplify my travel with as few tasks as are required and I don't mind waiting. 

• Like 1

Also consider that depending on your deck  you may not be able to board immediately anyway - so by the time you go through all the formalities you may not have time to get back off before your mother arrives.

if both arriving by train you could always have a coffee by the station and then share a taxi.  There is a costa coffee opposite the northbound platform exit to the station, and a taxi rank nearby too.