Shore excursions

Master98

big name companies such as Viator are third party consolidators ie don't run the tours themselves

best place to research is the ports of call forum where past cruisers can recommend companies they used

I have been using private companies for years  usually getting a group together to fill a van from the roll call

never been close to missing ship-usually up on deck watching the big bus cruise excursions making their way back 

If a private tour company caused even 1 passenger to miss the ship because of a late return their name would be all over these forums and quickly out of business  

meaning don't book pvtly or just take a cab somewhere. On a Bermuda cruise and evidently a couple took a cab on their own to a beach. Ship waited about 1/2hr & all passengers were on their balconies watching. Ship pulled away and in the horizon we see a speedboat coming closer.

He waited and couple got onboard. He Was Nice !!!  Can you imagine how much their beach day cost ?

Reputable companies will make sure you are back in plenty of time. Check out Trip Advisor for reviews. The tours run through NCL are about double the price. When you have a family along that sure adds up!

• Like 1

We book very few excursions with any of the cruise lines that we use.

Private tours are almost always cheaper (sometimes half the price) and you normally have 8-12 persons on the tour, not a bus full of 45 persons.

Private tours depend on the location of the cruise, but I know of two companies that offer shore excursions that have worked for us.

1) Viator-  we have used them quite a bit, especially in places like Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia (occasionally in Europe).

Never had a problem with our tours.  Viator's website has "Shore Excursions" that are tied to whatever cruise you are booked on. That is where you go to check the available tours.

2) Shoreexcursions=  we used them for our New England and Canada cruise last year.  All the tours were nice, with smaller groups.  Prices were lower than ship.

https://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/?source=Bing&msclkid=f4d517f359521e234c734b2a241e3660&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Standard Terms Campaign&utm_term=shore excursions&utm_content=Shore Excursions

For some ports you may not find what you want from these two, but do some research, for example we did a TransPacific cruise and found a nice tour company in Fiji.

We do take ship's excursions sometimes in two situations:

1) If tendering is a problem at the specific port.   Sometimes the tendering is just fine, sometimes terrible.  With the ship's tour, you get off with your tour group earlier.

2) If the places that you will visit on the tour are a long drive from the port and the likelihood of an unexpected problem being late to the port.  Example, we did a tour of Normany from Le Harve, France, that was a full day and with a  private tour it was more risky.  Also, if the tour company doesn't guarantee to take you to the next port if you miss the ship.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:01 AM, shakeNbake said:

New Panama Canal partial transit shore excursions.  Would like suggestions on tours for the canal.  NCL does not show many for Panama, P Limon, or Cartagena.  Thanks in advance.

My DH & I did the partial transit in April.

Cartegena we used Dora -www. cartagenatour.com local city tour (4hrs)

Puerta Limon we used Eduardo -info.yourluckytour@gmail.com Cahuita National Park & Tortuguero Canal(6hrs). I would suggest buying a snack if you do this tour as it was 3pm before we were dropped off at the dock.

Panama you must book through the ship. We visited the Agua Clara lock and did a wildlife cruise on Gatun Lake.

Those I spoke to who did the Ferry tour of the lock said it was a fantastic day but very long day. I suggest you look at the tours and decide what interests you the most.