Salt House, Authentic Restaurants, and Taxis

LoungingMcCoy

I'm thinking about checking out the Salt House.  I'm interested in seeing a salina and there's supposed to be a salt museum here.  Has anyone been to the Salt House?

I would appreciate recommendations for authentic restaurants.

I haven't seen any cruise excursions in Grand Turk that interest me greatly, so I'm thinking about striking out on my own, but that makes me a little nervous.  We always book excursions through the cruise line for peace of mind.  I'd hate to be in one of those pier runner videos.  If I take a taxi to the city will I have any issues getting a taxi back to the port?

You can grab a taxi at the port and ask them if they can take you on a tour of the island.  They'll quote you a price.  Drive you around to all the spots, Salt House/Museum, Lighthouse, etc. and stop at whereever you want to eat.

For lunch, I suggest downtown Cockburntown and going to the Sandbar. Great spot.  Or for something a bit more rustic, John's Oceanview, just up the street.   The restaurant at the Bohio Resort on Pillory Beach is also good.  Conch in all it's options is the key thing to get on the island.  Fresh fish too.  But if you want good BBQ.  Doo-Doo's Rib Cage on Osborne Road would be the best stop.  All the taxi drivers know these places and maybe one or two others.

Edited by crewsweeper