Ajaccio - gluten free options?

CruiseMelissa

I know this is pretty specific and it's a long-shot that I'll get an answer but I was wondering if there are any gluten free options in Ajaccio?  I'd love to get my celiac daughter a baked good or treat while we're touring around.  I haven't had much luck with google searches because everything is in French 😁

Thanks!

The words in French for "gluten free" are easy: "sans gluten" (without gluten).  Just look for those words while you are searching the websites or stopping at a bakery or restaurant.

I know there are some gluten free bakeries in Paris and other big cities, but I would be surprised if you found one in Corsica. 

I can't speak for Corsica, but I haven't seen any gluten free bakeries or goods in the town where I'm currently living (Le Havre), which is a decently sized port city. I would not count on being able to find gluten free goods in a normal bakery but you would be able to find it in a specialized shop.

This Pages Jaunes site lists two bakeries which have << sans gluten >> in the description of their products.

This website (in French, unfortunately) is a page explaining where one can eat gluten free in Corsica and recommends gluten free restaurants.

A Google search of Ajaccio sans gluten will bring up further options. I would recommend that you look up restaurants and bakeries ahead of time because to my knowledge, labelled gluten free items in regular bakeries and restaurants are very uncommon in France. 

Another option would be to look for items that are already gluten-free. This website provides some examples of foods your daughter can have and foods to avoid. Macarons would be a great gluten-free option!

simplyrubies-

That (This ) is an excellent article.  I would like to add a gluten free specialty of Nice and other places in the South of France: socca.  For those who haven't heard of it, it is a very large savory pancake made with chickpea flour, olive oil, salt and pepper.  It is a street food and the vendor will scoop out a large portion of the pancake and serve it (usually) on brown paper.  The most famous is Theresa's Socca in the Nice Flower Market.  

I will pass your comments along to a friend who has celiac disease and a great love of traveling in France.