Question about doing Dunn's River Falls without a tour...

5lilfish

My husband and I, along with our 12 yr old twins, will be docking in Ocho Rios on the Horizon in February.  I would like to climb the falls with our twins.  All of the tours combine this with something else.  We just want to do the falls and have some time to relax on the beach.  Also, I'm pretty sure my husband won't be able to climb (bad knee).  So here are my questions...

1)  Best way to get to the Falls from our ship?

2) Is it a pest to get tickets on our own once there?

3) Can my husband wait down in the water at the base of the falls (r someplace comfortable there)?  Do we have to pay for him to climb?

4) Is there a convenient beach there that we are allowed access to?  Or what beach close by would you recommend?

Thanks....

Jess

You can get a taxi to the falls.  Not sure of the cost as we always prearrange transportation in advane.

Yes, you can purchase tickets at the entrance.

You husband can relax at the beach area.  He can also climb as far as he is comfortable.  There are steps along the way where he can exit the falls if he chooses.  You don't pay to climb the falls, there is an entrance fee to the park where the falls are located. Everyone must pay the entrance fee.

The beach is at the base of the falls.  Walk down the walkway as far as you can go.  It will take you under the road and to the beach.

note .. the entrance is at the top of the falls / park

so he'd have to take the stairs all the way down to get to the beach ... then back up via the falls climb or the stairs.  probably NOT what's envisioned.

he can wait at the top ... he can even get in the pool at the top and get wet ....

or he can go down the stairs a bit .. there are a couple of overlooks and some with stairs into similar pools along the way.

This is at the 'top' ... you can't climb up beyond this pool.  Look carefully to the left and you'll see the handrail/steps to exit.  You can get in here too ... no rule 'stopping you' (you can even climb DOWN the falls!)

drf2.jpg

This is a pool along the climb path.  BTW the folks holding hands are a typical 'cruise excursion' .. we took a taxi and did our own thing.  As mentioned you pay for a day admission to the park ... no charge to climb.   Guides work for tips.  You can get a guide for just you .... not a bad idea your first climb.  After that "go for it" ... you paid for all day. Hold hands, using a guide, staying on the guide path - none of this is 'required' ... but they won't let you climb past the marked 'top' as this is out of the park area . . . 

drf9.jpg

btw the taxi is stupid expensive (charge per person and the distance is only a mile or so) ... but IME you are paying for a round trip so be sure this is still correct and don't let the driver tell YOU when he'll be back ... pick your time.

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 2:50 PM, CruisingAwayKatie said:

piggy backing on the Falls topic. Are water shoes a must have? 

I do know from past trips, unless it has changed, that some form of water shoes are required...you are not allowed to climb in bare feet.