Cabs New York Port

capegirl

49 minutes ago, capegirl said:

Arrival at NY Port are there plenty of waiting taxis or does one have to book one before cruise to take to mid town Manhattan hotel?

Good morning Capegirl.

There are plenty. 

Scroll through my review and I've included a piece on just that subject...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/01/02/queen-mary-2-remastered-trans-atlantic/

263583490_BrooklynTaxirates.thumb.jpg.2c7682afb3931bfe1978e93746cebc24.jpg

Thank you Richard.  You answered my question on cabs.  Enjoyed your review and photos of the QM2 put my mind to rest and now looking forward to our transatlantic crossing in May 2020.  By the way read your review QV to Cape Town.  I was born in CT and hope to one day sail into CT harbour to view the beautiful Table Mountain from the sea!  Regards Penny

• Like 1

There are also regular Brooklyn taxis (if I recall they are bright green) - they were good value if travelling within Brooklyn - I paid about $12 to the Brooklyn Hilton

33 minutes ago, capegirl said:

Thank you Richard.  You answered my question on cabs.  Enjoyed your review and photos of the QM2 put my mind to rest and now looking forward to our transatlantic crossing in May 2020.  By the way read your review QV to Cape Town.  I was born in CT and hope to one day sail into CT harbour to view the beautiful Table Mountain from the sea!  Regards Penny

Hi again Cape Girl.

Thank you for your kind comments but a word of warning.  My advice would be to aim to sail out of Cape Town as today's cruises, including Queen Victoria, arrive too early...

DSC_4276.JPG.6809601c7cc4dfd290b9502ae45f202e.JPG

Gone are the days when Cunard arrived in style...

1778064631_QE2enteringCapetownSolentRichard.thumb.jpg.23528b156c1ef6a4a828662443a56880.jpg

That of course was taken onboard QE2 on her South African Line Voyage.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Hi again Cape Girl.

Thank you for your kind comments but a word of warning.  My advice would be to aim to sail out of Cape Town as today's cruises, including Queen Victoria, arrive too early...

DSC_4276.JPG.6809601c7cc4dfd290b9502ae45f202e.JPG

Gone are the days when Cunard arrived in style...

1778064631_QE2enteringCapetownSolentRichard.thumb.jpg.23528b156c1ef6a4a828662443a56880.jpg

That of course was taken onboard QE2 on her South African Line Voyage.

Thank you - Interesting.  I will certainly take that advice into account when planning my CT trip! 

1 hour ago, Se1lad said:

There are also regular Brooklyn taxis (if I recall they are bright green) - they were good value if travelling within Brooklyn - I paid about $12 to the Brooklyn Hilton

There is no "one" cab company in New York, there are many.   Cab operators run from the individual driver who leases his cab for a shift, to relatively large "fleets."  The are regulated as to behavior at fares, and are yellow (see picture).

There are car services, who are legitimate and also regulated, and "gypsy cabs" who may be other colors, but are not regulated (actually, they ARE, but flout the regulations).  Use the gypsy cabs at your own risk.

NYC Cab.jpg

No

11 minutes ago, BiggDawg said:

There is no "one" cab company in New York, there are many.   Cab operators run from the individual driver who leases his cab for a shift, to relatively large "fleets."  The are regulated as to behavior at fares, and are yellow (see picture).

There are car services, who are legitimate and also regulated, and "gypsy cabs" who may be other colors, but are not regulated (actually, they ARE, but flout the regulations).  Use the gypsy cabs at your own risk.

NYC Cab.jpg

Not quite right - not all regulated cabs are yellow.  The ones that operate in Brooklyn are lime green - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicabs_of_New_York_City

25 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

No

Not quite right - not all regulated cabs are yellow.  The ones that operate in Brooklyn are lime green - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicabs_of_New_York_City

Thanks for that.  I learn something new every day, and stand corrected.

I moved out of Brooklyn before 2013 when the linked article said these started to appear, and have pretty much used car services instead.  I've actually never seen one of these.  😜

3 minutes ago, BiggDawg said:

Thanks for that.  I learn something new every day, and stand corrected.

I moved out of Brooklyn before 2013 when the linked article said these started to appear, and have pretty much used car services instead.  I've actually never seen one of these.  😜

If it’s any consolation I wasn’t 100% sure they were legitimate when I arrived and looked them up on the internet before I got in one!

the closest cars to the terminal are the ‘authorised car service’ ones pictured above - the greeters try to encourage you to get in one of these.  A row further out are the bright green taxi cabs .

7 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

the closest cars to the terminal are the ‘authorised car service’ ones pictured above - the greeters try to encourage you to get in one of these.  A row further out are the bright green taxi cabs .

Of COURSE they (the greeters) do!

Like many products in  the USA, and most services in NYC, there is a "pay for placement" going on here.