Sailed on Norway? Not "to" but "on".

Oh, forgot to mention the ship had three separate license.  Each of the two tenders had their own license.  The ship could only dock in three ports and was too long to go through the Panama Canal.  The three ports were Le Havre, France, New York and Miami.    

7 minutes ago, bgTexasguy said:

I sailed on the S.S. Norway in 1992 with my family.  Dad booked Viking Deck Room 139 (largest suite on the ship - had a dining room table that sat 12 people).  It had a master bedroom with a canopy bed.

Please see attached scans from that cruise.  My personal photos of the ship were lost in a move, years ago.

The midnight buffet was spectacular... with ice carvings galore!  

SS Norway 1992 Map.jpg

SS Norway 1992.jpg

Just think, DH, you were only 40 then!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Wished I would have kept more pics of the SS Norway cruise.  But, once the wife went, so did the pics....LOL!

We still have many. Unfortunately, they are under the stairs with all the other stuff we said we’d get to in retirement. That was 5 1/2 years ago. 

I was was also able to get NCL to give us credit for our cruises in the 80’s, about four years ago. I still have things like boarding passes in a box that is not under the stairs. They were really good about it. Last year Cunard gave me credit for a cruise I took in 1979. 

• Like 1

Oh, forgot to mention the ship had three separate license.  Each of the two tenders had their own license.  The ship could only dock in three ports and was too long to go through the Panama Canal.  The three ports were Le Havre, France, New York and Miami.    

The two largest suites on S.S. Norway were Viking Deck rooms 139 and 140.  I believe the suite (V139) my dad booked had a Baby Grand piano.  As I recall, the room had more than 10 closets!   It was my first cruise.  My parents cruised on NCL 30 times.  NCL sent a limo to pick them up at the airport in Miami (that possibly may have been arranged by their travel agent). 

Norway-brochure-1980-Michael-Bobo-6.jpg

viking-deck.jpg

8f1f6205c62e0ec05237acf315f43ae0.jpg

Norway-brochure-1980-Michael-Bobo-7.jpg

• Like 1

Had to go through my memorabilia box. This picture is from our second cruise on the Norway and this poster still hangs in our family room. I have welcome packets, boarding passes and a book on the history of the Norway. I don’t usually keep so much stuff from each cruise, but it was the first ship DH and I sailed together and she was just so special. 

8EFAD4B0-57A3-4D87-9F4B-DB0416CD7F88.jpeg

FF86194D-1F8B-4B06-A3DB-C2AD5580B6B9.jpeg

Edited by lhsail
  • Like 1

Oh my, one of my favorite subjects.  Very first cruise was on SS Norway in 1988.  Next was on our honeymoon in 1995.

I still remember the boiler explosion in Miami....so very sad.  I was hoping they would tow her somewhere for refitting but

it was not to be.  Such a grand ship.  I'm glad to know that Little Norway I and II are still being used as tenders at Great Stirrup Cay.  There will never be another SS Norway. I still have a bin of photos and memorabilia from SS Norway.

norway herald.jpeg

norway menu.jpeg

Norway 2008 Miami Herald.jpeg

IMG_4083.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lhsail said:

Diver2014, some very cool items. We no longer have our cocktail glasses. That’s back when they made real Pina Coladas. . 

….and great Pina Coladas they were!  Since we lived in Miami at the time, I was able to get both glasses home in one piece since we didn't have to worry about putting them in luggage. I don't let anyone near those glasses now...they are on a top shelf where no one can reach them.  I want to keep them in perfect condition.  I also have the 2 keychains that I bought on the Norway (my ship souvenirs are keychains - I have one for each ship we've been on).  I also have the Caribbean map that NCL used to give out showing we crossed the Bermuda Triangle.  Also, a complete set of menus from their 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise.  I had to buy those in the gift shop but I'm glad I did now.  I also bought a book detailing the complete history of the Norway along with remnants of the blue and gold embossed Norway folder that each cabin had on the desk to take home as a souvenir.  Wow, those were the days. Who knew the Norway would end up a metal skeleton on a beach in Indonesia?  So sad.  The second photo is the Baked Alaska parade by the waiters in the Windward Dining Room.

img002.jpg

baked alaska Windward Dining Room.jpeg

gold Norway photo.jpeg

Edited by Diver2014

19 hours ago, BayAreaCruisers4 said:

We sailed on the SS Norway on our honeymoon, the week of August 3,1991 in the western Caribbean. 27 years later, we sailed last week on the Joy to Alaska. Had a GREAT time! I think we’re NCL customers again. 

On a side note, we weren’t credited for or first sailing because they had no record of it. 😜

I never sailed on the SS Norway but my first cruise was on the NCL Skyward in 1979.  I was 15.  I happened to have a scrapbook that has my original ticket.  I sent a copy in and I did receive credit for that sailing.  They probably thought that anyone that could pull that off should get some points.  Now that I think of it, they should have doubled it!  LOL!

• Haha 1

I sent NCL this photo to prove we were on the Norway a few years ago and they gave us the credit.  I also sent embarkation photos from the Southward and Seaward and got those credited as well.  Works for me.  A few more Norway photos:

Great Stirrup Cay in 1995, the Midnight Chocolate Extravaganza (that was actually at 11:30pm for photos only),  and the bridge tour in 1995 (I don't think anyone does bridge tours anymore).  Notice the 'old' equipment on the bridge.

I sure wish I still had that striped Norway shirt.  Or the 'Dive In' T shirt we got after going scuba diving or snorkeling.  I remember the Norway had it's own dive locker where we rented equipment to take diving with us, and we all got a certificate when we got back.  Those were the days.

Great Stirrup Cay Norway 1995.jpeg

Chocolate Extravaganza Norway.jpeg

Norway bridge tour 1995.jpeg

honeymoon 1995 - Copy.jpeg

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 1

We actually got to go on the bridge of the Windward in 1993, while the captain was steering the ship out of St. Thomas... that would never happen today!  I believe our actual last bridge tour was four to five years ago.  We were recently told on an NCL cruise that no bridge tours are being permitted anymore fleet-wide.   

On 5/15/2019 at 7:26 PM, cruisencrazy said:

I got pregnant with my 27 yr old son sailing in the owners suite of the Norway. 

I remember you ! 

I have a son !!!!

😀😘

(heavy sarcasm font used in this post)

Edited by simonaitch

dug up a few more photos:  the Norway anchored at St Thomas (too big to dock), our stateroom on the top deck with floor to ceiling windows (I remember people at the time complaining that it looked like NCL just plopped a big box on top of the ship taking away the sleek lines of the SS France).  And a bath tub that you had to practically have a step ladder to get in and out of.

Norway St Thomas 1995.jpeg

stateroom Norway.jpeg

stateroom windows Norway.jpeg

stateroom bathtub Norway.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bgTexasguy said:

We were recently told on an NCL cruise that no bridge tours are being permitted anymore fleet-wide.   

While I'll keep the details out, I was given a bridge tour on an NCL ship just last year.

Edited by NCLetscruise
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 10:00 AM, lhsail said:

Maybe it changed later, but in the early 80’s we saw full production shows of My Fair Lady and I believe Fiddler on the Roof. 

I remember seeing My Fair Lady on the Norway as a kid. It must’ve been the late 80s at the time.

• Like 1

I need to correct my earlier post....S S Norway was beached in Malaysia, not Indonesia before being scrapped.  She was dismantled and the metal taken as scrap in 2008 until there was nothing left.  I did find this little tidbit about the scrapping:

"In 2009 the tip of the bow of the France / Norway was returned to the country of her birth as one of a catalogue of auction pieces removed from the ship before scrapping commenced. The auction was held on February 8th and 9th 2009"

Sad end to the blue lady.

scrapped in Malaysia.jpg

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 9:05 AM, Diver2014 said:

I need to correct my earlier post....S S Norway was beached in Malaysia, not Indonesia before being scrapped.  She was dismantled and the metal taken as scrap in 2008 until there was nothing left.  I did find this little tidbit about the scrapping:

"In 2009 the tip of the bow of the France / Norway was returned to the country of her birth as one of a catalogue of auction pieces removed from the ship before scrapping commenced. The auction was held on February 8th and 9th 2009"

Sad end to the blue lady.

scrapped in Malaysia.jpg

This picture makes me want to cry.  We sailed on her in 2001.  My husband had agreed to book the owners suite just before her explosion!  What a treat that would have been!

On 5/17/2019 at 6:01 PM, Diver2014 said:

dug up a few more photos:  the Norway anchored at St Thomas (too big to dock), our stateroom on the top deck with floor to ceiling windows (I remember people at the time complaining that it looked like NCL just plopped a big box on top of the ship taking away the sleek lines of the SS France).  And a bath tub that you had to practically have a step ladder to get in and out of.

My first cruse was in 1996 on the SS Norway. We were also in a Sky suite with the floor to ceiling windows. K051 was the room number I'll never forget. I went once more  on the Norway in 1998

Edited by Palmetto Pilot