Caricatures on a cruise.

What ever happened to..... Caricatures on Board?

Does anyone remember this? 

Anyone ever get this done on a cruise?

If so, do you remember the ship and about how long ago?

Would you like to see this brought back?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I’d like to see caricatures offered onboard again. I think the cruise lines are missing out on something passengers would enjoy. Since you still have your caricature from years ago I imagine that's true. 

I always suggest it on my post cruise survey. I guess not enough people do the same.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree. I was more concerned with the experience than the cost. However, looking from an economic based model....

If the cruise line charged for the portraits they could more than cover the cost.

10 pics an hour X $20 X 4 hours a day X 3 sea days = $2400. Artist paid from fees.

More revenue, resulting in lower fares.

If they offered them free to guests.....Even on fully booked cruises an  inside cabin fare of $600 (passenger cost, costs the cruise ship less) divided by even 1000 passengers would only “cost” 60 cents per person,10 cents a day, I can handle that. Pay for the artist might double that,  I’m still OK.

They could  offer it as they do for guest speakers, in exchange for passage or only on cruises with space available. 

I would recommend the Artist would have passenger status, preferably in a full suite but a  mini-suite would suffice and a balcony in a pinch.

I never thought guest services were “thin” but I would pay more for better service or more experiences if necessary to enjoy my vacation.   ”Ya get what ya pay for.” 

• Like 1

Donald

It wasn’t intended to be serious. Take it easy.....

.. Note the comments... “Artist put in a full suite.” Or “Artist paid $2400 a day” 

I just thought it’d be a fun option to have back onboard. 

Thanks for the good wishes. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

My husband and I had our caricatures done on the Cunard QE2 cruise to Bermuda in 1995.  The artist was excellent, and I framed the drawing and I have it hanging on my wall.  No, it was not free, we paid for it, but I am more than pleased.

On my first cruise in 1974 on the Chandris Romanza, there was an artist who was doing chalk pastel paintings (again, not free.). Many parents were having their children painted.

Many cruise lines have art auctions, and people pay a fortune to buy lithographs or prints which are created in the thousands.

We have our photos taken on every cruise, but I certainly would pay to have more fine art representation, as it is a special and unique souvenir and memory.  

• 1 month later...

I remember my sister having one done on her NCL honeymoon cruise around 1990. The trend of caricature art seems to have died across our culture. I have zero feelings about that, other than having strong feelings that cartoon editorials are still an important part of cultures that needs to be preserved.