Belize Excursions - Already Tried Posting on Ports of Call Board

kcsmom2

I tried posting this several days ago on the Belize Ports of Call board, but so far have no responses. I'm hoping perhaps to get a quicker answer from someone here!

We are going on RCCL the end of February, and would like to snorkel while in Belize. We plan to book through the cruise line (I realize many of you suggest independent operators, but this is what we've decided), and two excursions look almost identical: Barrier Reef Snorkel & Beach Break at Turneffe Atoll and Catamaran Snorkeling at Rendezvous Caye. I'm wondering which one is better, and hope someone out there can provide guidance based on our situation (explained below).

We are a family of four, including me (absolutely terrified of being in water over my head, but bound and determined to go snorkeling in Belize!!), hubby (not a great swimmer, but he'll do OK), 9-yr old DD (strong swimmer on a swim team and very adventurous) and 7-yr old DD (not quite as strong but also on the swim team...not sure how she'll do snorkeling but we'll try it). If it makes a difference, hubby and I are both overweight, so getting in and out of the water from a boat could be more of a challenge if there aren't steps.

We're looking for something where we can snorkel for a while, but if youngest DD doesn't want to, there is something else to do as well. Also want a little time on a beach for the girls to run around, swim and play in the sand. Does anyone have any thoughts on these two excursion...which is better and why?

I love these boards, and appreciate your help. Thanks for reading!!

Hi I read somewhere on the boards that Rendezvous Caye has sand that is more like ground up shells. So water shoes would be the order of the day. I am traveling with sister in law and her husband and my DH and we are having the same dilemma trying to decide what to do in Belize :( at some point we will have to make up our minds. Nothing seems to be jumping our saying try me.

Please e-mail at tommygeddings @ gmail.com (of course, take out the spaces) and let me know where else you plan to go. It might be that snorkeling might not be the best option at Belize and might be better at another stop. Since we are not in the ports of call section, I did not want to post too much about Belize and comments but we loved Belize (the place and the people) and I would be happy to try to offer any advice I can.

Last year I posted on that board asking about cave tubing --- someone had told me that there were snakes in the water....so I asked.

Many people wrote back to assure me that there were not snakes and that they all had a great time. I'm surprised you haven't had more responses.

I used the Antigua board to get information on Pineapple Beach Resort. Lots of folks out there...try again or perhaps you can do a search to see if your question has already been posted.

Good Luck

Goff's Caye was our choice in Belize and was wonderful. We have young children and this allowed a divide and conquer approach with DH and the older child(7) to go on the boat and snorkel and me to explore the island and wade in the crystal clear water with the younger two. I also saw several fish and could use a snorkel mask to show the kids. This worked out well for us. Good Luck.

threeofus - "snakes in the water". That is a good scare story. I wish I had seen that post. The cave tubing was a LOT of fun but that water was a might cold for snakes to want to be in it, IMO. After the walk through the rainforest/jungle, it was a welcome relief though. Very clear and pretty water and I am glad my DW did not know to be looking out for snakes or she would have never looked up. Glad y'all had fun too.

Again, sorry if this is off topic but I was pretty impressed with the Belize people. It was not a really good looking country, especially the streets, but they all seemed very happy and proud. We got a great civics lesson from our guide and they are a very diverse culture with a peaceful heritage. Pretty rare for central America. All I was used to hearing about was Guatamala and other counties who had communism, dictators and other problems in the last couple decades. I would like to go there again someday.

Although our kids were not along on our last cruise in Feb 05, I would not hesitate to recommend the cave tubing for a family with younger children, provided that the children know their basic strokes. The only time that I recall we were in water over our heads was where we "put in" with our tubes, jumping in the water from bluffs 20 ft above the surface of the water. You can go snorkeling at any port in the Carribean, but the cave tubing experience is unique. Reconsider before its too late, you will not be disappointed.

I have also read about people having bad experiences with cave tubing when the water gets high and the current gets swift. Since the OP has stated they are mostly not good swimmers only DD is strong swimmer I would stick with her 2 choices. I have not been to Belize so I cannot comment on these 2 shore excursions. Some of the boats they use for snorkel excursions can be hard to navigate getting back onto from the water, in Jamica were did a snorkel trip, it was off a sailboat, the ladder to get back on the boat was not the easiest.

We were on Enchantment 2003 and an excustion to Goff's Cay was offered from RCI. It was the best day of the cruise. You are taken to a small island. There is snorkeling in not very deep water. The guides were great as none of us are experienced swimmers. You wore a life vest and they gave out floats to people who needed them. As you are on a tiny island there is beach and chairs everywhere. A picnic lunch was also included and was very good. See if this is availabel. It will meet your needs in fun and activity level.

Like you, I am petrified of deeper water. When my sisters and I cruised we snorkeled and I stayed on the beach until I was brave enough. What a bummer, by the time I decided I was brave enough and found out that it was really cool and not too scarey the time was up. I would not hesitate to go again. Also, I have been cave tubing in Belize, not being a good swimmer I was terrified only one time. The current got pretty strong toward the end cave and pulled me toward the side of the cave, but othre adverturers and guides helped be back to the middle and everything turned out ok. I did feel like the large size of the group was a drawback to not having individual attention.

I have never spent more than 30 minutes in Belize City and that time was all spent at the airport. What I can tell you is that if you are going on excursions to the Caye's (Islands) then you are going to have a great time. The Cayes are mostly protected by the second largest barrier reef in the world. The water is mostly shallow , not very rough and absolutely beautiful. I always love getting to Belize because then I know I am not far from Ambergis Caye.

We did the Barrier Reef Snorkel and Beach Break over the holidays. For us, it was FANTASTIC. However, it doesn't sound right for you. The snorkeling was in deep water (15-30 feet) and the water was somewhat rough. Even though you will have an inflatable vest, you need to be comfortable swimming to enjoy this. After the snorkeling, we went to a wonderful beach area - large and clean, with plenty to do. The kids would enjoy that, anyway. But the atmoshphere on the catamaran was a rum punch party, so that might also not be what you are looking for (we were! :D). Sounds to me like you would enjoy a beach-oriented excursion so you can walk into the water and learn to snorkel at your own pace. Have fun!

Archived