Has anybody had experience or have any advice in choosing a Panama cruise.

Seeing the Panama Canal is one of those destinations on my “list”.

Currently Marella have two itineraries which include Panama:

1. Panama Canal Experience, which includes on day 4, Gatun Lake and Colon. I am guessing the ship, Discovery 2, actually makes the passage through the locks into the lake. I would seem that I would have to travel from Gatwick to do this cruise.

2. Pride of Panama which just lists a visit to Colon, so the ship does not go through the locks into the Canal, have I got this right?. I wonder if they have optional tours which will take you through into the canal itself. This cruise I could do from my local airport.

Hi GOQ,

We are looking at these 2 itineraries as well. We 'think' the same as you - the Panama Experience will transit on way into the canal to the lake and back out. The Pride of Panama does not, but you can do the same trip as an excursion on a ferry boat.

We would prefer the Panama Experience, but the date does not work well for us and the second stop in Jamaica vs Columbia is a also not our preference - So Pride of Panama it will be (-:

You are both correct Panama experience goes through Gatun locks into Gatun Lake and you Anchor near the visitor centre I haven't done this cruise so don't know what ships trips are offered on this stop Can you see them yet online?

i have done Pride of Panama twice and you dock in Colon and there are 2 trips for the canal from what I can remember One is on a glass topped train which travels along the side of the canal and you make a stop at a visitor centre and viewing point well along the canal

The second I have done twice and can really recommend You get a coach from Colon to boats at the end of Gatun lake and then transit the canal through two sets of locks to Panama City and return to Colon by coach. Because the ships are small you really get a feel for the size of the locks particularly when you have a container ship in the lock going the opposite way alongside you

Thanks for the info Vitalsign. 

With regards to excursions at the Colon/Gatun Lake port - I do not see any posted yet either - but took that to mean there were no excursions available at these stops. I was assuming that on the Panama Experience - it is somewhat like the cruise ship is doing a canal trip excision by going to Gatun Lake - and then there was not enough time remaining for excursions beyond visiting the visitor centre. 

Returned from Pride of Panama on 10th April.   On the Discovery 2. The ship does not go through Panama Canal, but docks in Colon…. But most of us booked the Excursions to or Through the Canal.   I chose the one which was heavily booked early.   You are taken by coach to the lake, then board a ferry.    It was an experience well worth doing, as you follow those ships and pass through the locks with them. right through to Panama and the Pacific side.   A view worth taking in …. then return to the ship via coach from Panama.  A long day but well worth it.

Just returned from 19 day cruise, Oceania Regatta, Miami to San Francisco, via the Panama Canal.

It was truly an otherworldly experience. The Panama Canal was definitely a high point. Day 5 we docked at Colon. Had the day shore excursion, vista train ride over to Panama City, toured Flamenco Island via bus, then returned along the canal to Colon. Day 6 was our sail through the Panama Canal. Amazing!

Other itinerary included Havana, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Acapulco, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego - there was to much ocean surge to allow for our intended day in Costa Rica.

Regatta is a small, 680 passenger max, well outfitted ship. It will be undergoing retrofitting this September, so likely even better.

Our experience was outstanding - highly recommended.

(the only "failure" is the on-board internet service - dismal at best. But, why cruise, if you "need" internet!)

18 Night Cultural Crossing Cruise on Regatta from Miami sailing May 1, 2019 on iCruise.com.html

On 5/25/2019 at 12:38 PM, stcroix2 said:

Just returned from 19 day cruise, Oceania Regatta, Miami to San Francisco, via the Panama Canal.

It was truly an otherworldly experience. The Panama Canal was definitely a high point. Day 5 we docked at Colon. Had the day shore excursion, vista train ride over to Panama City, toured Flamenco Island via bus, then returned along the canal to Colon. Day 6 was our sail through the Panama Canal. Amazing!

Other itinerary included Havana, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Acapulco, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego - there was to much ocean surge to allow for our intended day in Costa Rica.

Regatta is a small, 680 passenger max, well outfitted ship. It will be undergoing retrofitting this September, so likely even better.

Our experience was outstanding - highly recommended.

(the only "failure" is the on-board internet service - dismal at best. But, why cruise, if you "need" internet!)

18 Night Cultural Crossing Cruise on Regatta from Miami sailing May 1, 2019 on iCruise.com.html 129.05 kB · 0 downloads

That does look sound like an amazing cruise experience (-:

Alas at 3-4 times the cost of the Marella cruise , it is the type of cruise we can dream about for

now ... someday though .. that's what I keep telling myself (-;

Just done Pride of Panama Ship docks in Colon, it does not go down the canal itself but takes passengers by bus or train.  The poverty at this area around the dock is horrendous, our guide who was from Panama city said in 18 years of working as a guide she would not walk around in this port.  Thankfully we had booked a trip with TUI,  we just did the new locks which meant we could see Panama canal but not go on it, that was enough for us although I appreciate other people  want to go on the actual canal. 

I spoke to some people who did the canal trip some loved it but others thought it was too long a day, the traffic to go through the canal can mean you are waiting hours with many ships in front of you. Some ships are huge meaning it takes a long time for them to get  through.   We could see the ships all lined up when we were at the new locks. Our guide in this port was great she stopped the coach to show us howler monkeys and even a sloth with a baby sloth in the trees it was fantastic!