Going to Bermuda in August...What to Do? Help

Nessa1dc

We will be in Bermuda in August.  There will be 5 of us, 2 who are Senior Citizens.  We saw some of the prices for excursions on the Grandeur.  To be frank, it was outside of our budget.  We think $100 is too much.  We are not the adventurous type.  Not that interested in Beaches, Caves...we like museums, bus tours, etc.  Any ideas for broke and lazy people?

You can do excursions on your own, the same ones for less cost than the cruise line prices. Sharing a taxi tour could be one option since there are five. That would cost $70 an hour. So say a 4 hour Blue Flag taxi tour. Divide that by 5 and it should be less than the cruise line price for a tour. For my example 4 hour tour it would be $56 each. 

Bermuda is expensive.......visiting Bermuda is not an optimal destination for broke people. 

Edited by Charles4515

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You can do excursions on your own, the same ones for less cost than the cruise line prices. Sharing a taxi tour could be one option since there are five. That would cost $70 an hour. So say a 4 hour Blue Flag taxi tour. Divide that by 5 and it should be less than the cruise line price for a tour. For my example 4 hour tour it would be $56 each. 

Bermuda is expensive.......visiting Bermuda is not an optimal destination for broke people. 

Dang...I knew being broke would be a disadvantage, but dag.  I will try the "on your own" excursions.  Where do we look?  Are they there when we get off the ship?  Are most reliable, safe?

8 hours ago, Nessa1dc said:

Dang...I knew being broke would be a disadvantage, but dag.  I will try the "on your own" excursions.  Where do we look?  Are they there when we get off the ship?  Are most reliable, safe?

Bermuda is pretty safe. It is not like the Caribbean. There is a lot you can do on your own. Your main problem is the  Grandeur's scheduled time in port which is fairly limited. To be honest I am 45 minutes from the port of Baltimore near DC and I won’t book Grandeur to Bermuda because her times in Bermuda would frustrate me. What you can do on your own can be as simple as taking a ferry to St.George’s and walking around the town. Very walkable. St. George’s is a World Heritage Site. That is inexpensive and easy. Or taking a ferry to Hamilton which has a lot of shops. Expensive shops. Hamilton is also walkable. Or you could take a taxi tour like I mentioned. When you get off the ship there are taxis and designated zones for taxis and minibus that do island tours. You can also pre arrange private tours. There is a thread here with information on that. If  you are interested in something like a Sunset Cruise those can be booked at the Island Tour Centre at the Dockyard . There is also the National Museum at the Dockyard. You might want to book one of those in advance. The website for the Island Tour Centre is https://www.islandtourcentre.com/

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Bermuda is pretty safe. It is not like the Caribbean. There is a lot you can do on your own. Your main problem is the  Grandeur's scheduled time in port which is fairly limited. To be honest I am 45 minutes from the port of Baltimore near DC and I won’t book Grandeur to Bermuda because her times in Bermuda would frustrate me. What you can do on your own can be as simple as taking a ferry to St.George’s and walking around the town. Very walkable. St. George’s is a World Heritage Site. That is inexpensive and easy. Or taking a ferry to Hamilton which has a lot of shops. Expensive shops. Hamilton is also walkable. Or you could take a taxi tour like I mentioned. When you get off the ship there are taxis and designated zones for taxis and minibus that do island tours. You can also pre arrange private tours. There is a thread here with information on that. If  you are interested in something like a Sunset Cruise those can be booked at the Island Tour Centre at the Dockyard . There is also the National Museum at the Dockyard. You might want to book one of those in advance. The website for the Island Tour Centre is https://www.islandtourcentre.com/

Wow...thank you for the link.  Question...when they say they will start at Dockyard and end in Hamilton City...is any of that the Port and how would we return to the ship?

22 hours ago, Nessa1dc said:

We will be in Bermuda in August.  There will be 5 of us, 2 who are Senior Citizens.  We saw some of the prices for excursions on the Grandeur.  To be frank, it was outside of our budget.  We think $100 is too much.  We are not the adventurous type.  Not that interested in Beaches, Caves...we like museums, bus tours, etc.  Any ideas for broke and lazy people?

Hamilton has the delightful National Gallery that my husband and I really enjoyed. If walking isn't an issue, I really liked the National Museum of Bermuda (adults $15, Seniors $12, under 16 free) right near the dockyard - there's a house you can tour on the grounds and some really great views. Just google "cheap or free things to do in Bermuda" and you'll have a list! Have fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nessa1dc said:

Wow...thank you for the link.  Question...when they say they will start at Dockyard and end in Hamilton City...is any of that the Port and how would we return to the ship?

There are public ferries that run between the Dockyard and Hamilton.  They trip runs 20 to 30 minutes. The fare is a $4.50 token each trip or $5 cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

There are public ferries that run between the Dockyard and Hamilton.  They trip runs 20 to 30 minutes. The fare is a $4.50 token each trip or $5 cash.

aaahhhh...so the Dockyard is where the Ship is docked?  Right?

1 hour ago, Nessa1dc said:

aaahhhh...so the Dockyard is where the Ship is docked?  Right?

Right. Dockyard is short for Royal Naval Dockyard. Royal Caribbean calls the port Kings Wharf. King’s Wharf is at the Dockyard. There are two  public ferry routes from the Dockyard. The Blue Route between the Dockyard and Hamilton and the Orange Route between the Dockyard and St. George’s. Check the schedule below to see if the times work with the excursion you were looking at booking.

http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer Ferry Schedule 2019.pdf

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1