Ketchikan questions

rockmich

Hi all-

We are booked to cruise Alaska in August 06. In Ketchikan, we are contemplating the following excursions:

Misty Fjords flight with Michelle at Island Wings

Saxman Native village

Here are our questions:

I am all for doing the Misty Fjords flight, however, by husband (the engineer in the family) needs some more convincing. The price is what is scaring him away!! Any input from those who have done this?

We would like to also go to Saxman village. Our cruise line offers a tour of this village. Also, we know that it is only 2.5 miles outside of town. Is ot possible to attend this attraction as an independent? I read in a tour book that it was not advised, but it did not say why??

Thanks for any input!!

Hi Rock... first off, this will be my first cruise to Alaska as well, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge of these tours - I only can tell you what I think based on all I've read (and that is a lot).

The Misty Fjord Flightseeing tour is supposed to be something so special and awe-inspiring... a must see & do...period! When my family travels, we try to do things that are interesting and once-in-a-lifetime type experiences ...those times, are what make such special memories... I can't even tell you!

The Misty Fjord flightseeing tour is really not that expensive for the kind of excursion it is known to be. It is not a bus trip to a beach (thinking Caribbean here) with a stop to the local business district filled with gift shops selling t-shirts that every other port on earth sells (but with their own name), it is not a guided van trip through lovely terrain with several stops at souvenir shops with a hokey "authentic" barbecue luncheon thrown in along with a trip to a corny museum... it is evidently a magical, very special experience worth every penny... (at least from every single review I have read)...

But you know, everyone is different, I love REAL things, REAL nature, REAL culture... I can't stand going to places with touristy shopping establishments and hokey museums (not saying a lot are, but some are just put there to help the souvenir shops). BUT, some people do like just wandering around and shopping or going on touristy type excursions... WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT...

Sorry I may have sounded like I was on a soap box... the bottom line is - I don't think that Island Wings (nothing but excellent reviews) tour of Misty Fjords is expensive at all... in this case, I believe you get more than what you pay for.

Alaska isn't the place to skimp on tours. :) Plenty of regrets, generate repeat visitors.

If you have a full day in Ketchikan, you can do both?? Misty Fjords flightseeing is a top tour here. Saxman Tours from the dock run about $25 . For clairfication, I do feel a tour is necessary since you get a great deal from the commentary. Far more than just driving/walking to the area and looking at the totems. Plenty in town if that is your preference.

Thanks for the input! I am definitely wanting to do the flight-seeing, but my hubby is the one that needed convincing. I have done quite a bit of research, and know the excursions can be expensive in Alaska. He actually looked at the info for the first time the other day and I think had a little sticker shock. I think we will do both the flightseeing with Michelle Madsen and the Saxman tour.

Thanks again-

I may be to late, but my wife and I did the Misty Fjords flight last May in Ketchikan. It was worth it big time!!! We took a hour and a 1/2 flight.

We did it around 2:30 p.m., and we booked it with the operator at the dock. It saved us about $150, instead of booking with the ship exursions.

The secnery is incredible and landing on lake on a float plane was incredible. It was expensive ($378) but worth every penny.

Have a great time in Alaska!!

Archived