Hotel in San Pedro area

plarimer

We are heading out of San Pedro in April and are having trouble finding a decent hotel in the San Pedro area. How far is the Long Beach area from San Pedro? 10 people are needing transportation from the hotel to San Pedro, what is the most cost effective way?

We live on the east coast and are also having trouble finding flights that leave in the afternoon. The best flights leave at 11:00 and is there enough time to get to LAX if the ship comes in at 8:00 a.m.?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, great questions. We're leaving from San Pedro as well. I'm traveling with 3 friends, and because there were 4 of us to split costs, they found that it was cheaper just to rent a van from LAX and drive to Long Beach. We're staying in Long Beach for 2 nights before our cruise, and I was surprised to find on Priceline how REASONABLE the hotel rates are there! We're staying at a 4-star hotel for only $100/night, while on the East Coast, where I'm from, in Philadelphia or NY that would get you pretty much nothing. On Priceline I saw rooms as low as $85/night for the LA/Long Beach area.

Anyway, from what I understand, the pier is quite far from the airport -- my friends priced a cab at about $60 (and how many people/bags can you actually fit in a cab?), but having never been, this is just an estimate. I'm sure there are people on these boards who could give you an exact figure...everyone is always so helpful sharing their past experiences.

You are absolutely right about the morning flights -- I had a great deal of difficulty getting an afternoon flight on the way back. Having cruised once before (Alaska), I was surprised how long it can take to get off the ship. Considering wait times at airport security, etc., please give yourself PLENTY of time to get your flight. It would be awful to have a relaxing week at sea ruined by a missed flight and the ensuing confusion it would cause!

When I cruised on Celebrity, they asked for our return flight info, so I don't know if that actually determined who they let off the ship first (again, something more experienced cruisers can confirm for you). We had a late flight and got off the ship last, which wasn't a big deal because we weren't in a hurry.

Hope this is helpful. Have a wonderful cruise!

I've been doing some poking around and found a Holiday Inn very close to the cruise terminal that offers a Fly and Cruise package.

With 10 persons, however, you will probably find that a van or charter service is less expensive.

Here's the link in case you are interested. http://www.holidayinnsanpedro.com/cruise.htm

Let us know what you find out and have a great trip!

Wendy

We have atyed at the Holiday Inn before and it is not a super fantastic hotel but is more than adequate for a night before the cruise.

For your group of 10 check out www.supershuttle.com or www.primetimeshuttle.com and you should basically get your own private van to and from the airport. Be sure to check the price for a group of 10 as each additional person in the group is lower than the initial person charge.

Interesting that my partner and I are thinking of converting a 100 year old house in San Pedro as a B & B and would focus on the cruise ship PAX as potential guests. Hmmmmmmm?

Anyways, Jet Blue flies directly into Long Beach from several east coast cities. Staying at the Hilton, Hyatt, or better yet the Queen Mary is a great choice for a pre-cruise stay. Transportion is always easy, in a cab, shuttle or hired car.

My wife, 12-year-old daughter and me just returned from a cruise where we stayed the night before embarking at the Marina Hotel, formerly a Hilton. This was in San Pedro, just a mile or two from the World Cruise Center. This was a nice Italianate-style three story hotel right on a marina (next to LA Yacht Club). I think we paid around $120--had a nice breakfast buffet the next morning for $10 a head.

There was a free shuttle (took reservations--maybe 4 vans) to the pier.

We came in through LAX--took Super Shuttle ($28 for first person to that zone, $9 for each additional), the hotel was isolated from the main shopping/dining area, but had shuttles available to whisk you to those areas (only a mile away). The Marina Hotel has a website you may Google--2800 Via Cabrillo Marina, San Pedro, CA.

We live in Long Beach and you would be about 20 minutes away to where the ship dock in San Pedro. Like previous msg's there are a varity of places to choose from and they are all fine. Your best bet would be airport shuttle serves would keep your cost down.When will you be on the cruise we sail on Visions 2/19/06,4/23/06,10/15/06 and 12/10/06.

I also see your from Virginia, my Mom and Dad where from Lynchburge and I have relitives in Richmond, Manasses and Lynchburge.

Dennis

Thank you for your help. I think we have decided to stay at the Coast Long Beach hotel and take a shuttle to the ship. Prime Time Shuttle sounds good to us. Our flights all leave LAX after 12:00 so now we are looking into the shuttle from RCCL. As my husband and I are diamond members, we can get off early and get on the cruise bus.

With 20 degree weather today and high winds which made the wind chill feel like 15, this cruise sounds better and better.

We live 5 miles from Dulles airport in the DC area, the rest of the family is coming from JFK and Philadelphia.

Archived