Icy Strait Point, Alaska

kyriecat

Are there any accessible excursions in Icy Strait? We are traveling on Royal Caribbean. They claim not to offer any tours for people in wheelchairs who cannot climb stairs onto a bus. Has anyone been to this port? I can't find much about it online.

Are there any accessible excursions in Icy Strait? We are traveling on Royal Caribbean. They claim not to offer any tours for people in wheelchairs who cannot climb stairs onto a bus. Has anyone been to this port? I can't find much about it online.
When we were there last year there were none that I could find. When you get off of the tender there is a rebuilt cannery beside the dock that has some things of intrest and a small shopping area.

There are buses to the town but there were no lifts on them that I discovered. I use a scooter and I drove it on the dirt road to the town which was a couple of miles away. It was worth the effort because when we got there we saw more bald eagles in one place than collectively in our previous cruises. The local fishermen throw fishheads and remains from cleaning on the beach there and eagles flock to feed. It was one of the most outstanding things I have seen so far on my two (soon to be three) Alaskan cruises.

Thank you, Jukeboxy.

Do you remember if there were any taxis? My mom uses a manual chair so a couple miles over a dirt road is probably further than we want to travel on "foot". She can stand long enough to get into a vehicle but not climb stairs into a bus.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe there are cabs but I think they are vans mostly but she should be ok.

The Summit like all X ships will do everything they can to tender you into the port they get me and my scooter ashore.

When you get there you may wonder why the ship anchors so far from the dock. If you get off the ship and go to the left at the tender pier there is an arch to have your picture taken that the ship frames up nicely in the background.

Archived