Some serenade questions??

LorettaD

DH and I and our 26 month old son are considering the Serenade of the seas out of PR in April. We haven't cruised RCCL in years (4 or so). I would appreciate any info on the ship or cabin reccomendations with our toddler.

Also if anyone can tell me about the room service menu ( we will probably miss a few dinners in the dining room). Lastly are there any activities for him to participate in?? He is potty trained already but it is my understanding he has to be 3 to go into the program. Lastly is there a kids pool, area we can take him too with slides or other fun stuff??

Any overall comments on the Serenade would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Loretta

Can't comment on the kids program but the Serenade is the most wonderful ship! It's beautiful and the staff is great! There is a kids pool area but I didn't check out the times or age requirements.

This was our 5th RCCL cruise and probably our favorite ship! Our only wish would have been for one less port and one more sea day to relax!!

We were on the 12/10 sailing of the Serenade with our twins who turned 2 during the cruise. The kids had a great time and the staff was tremendous. The ship was great too--it was our first cruise. I would highly recommend you going on the cruise.

A couple of tips:

1) You probably won't be able to take your son into any of the pools unless he is totally potty-trained. It is a real health risk. If he isn't potty trained, don't put him in. Our kids went by the pool plenty of times but never went in. As long as you don't emphasize the pool and that he can't go in, he won't fuss much.

2) If possible, get a suite because the suites have tubs (versus only showers in smaller rooms). That makes bath-time a whole lot easier.

3) The kids' programs are for 3-year-olds and above, but they have daily play-groups for 18-36 year-olds. Ours were sparsely attended, but we went on a cruise during the time of year when there aren't a whole lot of kids. But it was a nice thing.

4) Try to hire a babysitter for as many nights as you want or want to pay for. I don't know when your son goes to sleep. Our kids go down around 8pm. So we arranged for a sitter to come to our room around 7:45pm. She interacted with the kids for a few minutes then disappeared behind the curtain that goes around the bed. We put the kids to sleep and left the room. The sitter had a reading light on and read while we went to dinner and shows. It was the first time in two years that my wife and I got to go out 7 nights in a row without the kids. The kids went right to sleep and slept as we came back and paid the babysitter. Plus, the rates were cheaper than back home in Chicago!

5) Have fun!

Chicagobound I was wondering if you can answer a few more questions for me?

How much was the sitter per hour??

Was there a pager or some way for her to reach you??

What type room did you have, we are considering a Jr Suite and are not sure if it is roomy enough and if there is a curtain to block off the bed area?

Also is there a DVD player in the room for Elmo video's?

What activities did they offer for 2 year olds?

Did the kiddie pool have slides or other activities?

Thanks so much!

Archived