Pricing NCL cruise

On 6/4/2019 at 2:30 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

Not being a lawyer my opinion is worth as much as it costs, but I suspect that under Australian Consumer Law gratuities cannot be compulsory unless they are included as part of the advertised fare. Even if they are an American cruise line, they are selling a product in Australia and are subject to Australian law.

I seem to recall that NCL did/does allow gratuities to be withdrawn when on board, but they require some sort of paperwork and the reimbursement was made to be some weeks after the end of the cruise.

I am a lawyer and I agree with your assessment. My point is that compulsory gratuities included in the price are really part of the price that is calculated on the amount that the company will pass on to its staff. If the company later returns the money to the customer that will be a rebate.

Most of my voyages in recent years have been with SeaDream Yacht Club, which charges very high prices. But it is all inclusive and there is no separating of the fare into elements like gratuities. Of course many of the passengers leave large tips for the staff to reward them for the magnificent service they provide. But it is not expected.

Surprisingly, once you get over the high sticker price you realise that it’s better to have a final price without worrying about drinks packages and gratuities.