Trip Report: Celebrity Millennium Northbound 5/24/19-5/31/19

verobay

Thursday, May 29: Hubbard Glacier/at sea

We entered Yakutat Bay around 6 am and arrived at the glacier around 8 am. I had no preconceived notion of how big the glacier was or how close we would get. We watched the approach to the glacier from the warmth of Cosmos Lounge. I had read that in previous years only certain guests were invited to watch from the much lower helipad so we didn't bother trying to go down there--however as we were approaching they made an announcement that anyone was welcome down there! Of course in the time it would have taken us to get from the 11th deck to the 3rd, it was going to be packed. People down there ended up watching the approach 6 deep. If you'll be on the Millennium, I recommend heading down there from the beginning to snag a railing spot. 

Anyway, we had fun watching the glacier get bigger and bigger... finally we stopped our approach at 0.25 miles away, which we were told is incredibly close! It certainly was enormous from this close. When we arrived, they started slowly spinning the ship (I think they just did a single slow 180), so we went outside to a part of the top deck balcony where no one was yet standing (but that was about to have a great view). 

PANO_20190530_090048_vr.thumb.jpg.4f8a65bd53fbd2552b053c6b10d490b1.jpg

Enormous, and with very frequent thunderous calving! Pictures and video will of course never do the experience justice, but it was quite breathtaking. I understand Glacier Bay may be better but this was pretty darn great. 

The rest of the day we spent working out in the fitness center, napping, reading, listening to some of the house bands, and of course enjoying one last sample of our favorite foods. We may or may not have ordered 3 desserts each at dinner (hey, you saw how much hiking we did this week!). Show was a Broadway revue that was by far the most successful show--no plot, just singing and dancing which clearly played to the performers' strengths. Relaxing day!