NCL App??

Cruiser0721

I'm leaving on an Alaskan cruise on the Bliss in a couple of weeks and would like to find out if the NCL app works well while on board the ship, before I have everyone in my party purchase and download the app.

Please let me know what your experience has been.

The app is free. The only cost associated with it is for onboard talk and text. Whether or not it's worth it, depends on how much you need to be tied to your phone. We use it for some things, never calling or text though.

*Calling and Messaging Package has a nominal one-time fee for making unlimited onboard calls and messages during your cruise.

Edited by GrabMyWrist

1 minute ago, Cruiser0721 said:

We were thinking to use it to keep in touch with our other parties who are on different decks, so we can find each other etc...  I wasn't certain how the reception is and if it really works.

Everyone I know who has used it for that, said it worked very well. It's the spotty Internet you pay an arm and leg for that's questionable.

Edited by GrabMyWrist

I saw others using it and it seemed alright. I considered getting it too since my parents were on a different deck but we usually either called each other or made a plan on where to meet the next day. 

We have AT&T and on our Alaska Cruise with RCI on the Radiance (Vancouver to Seward) we had AT&T coverage 99% of the time.  We got better cell reception there than we do at our own house!  We could see land on either side most of the cruise so that was probably why.  We used FaceTime with our kids at various places on the ship and didn't miss a beat.

• Like 1

Most of the features used by majority of the users run off the ship's hardware & server over its inTRAnet and it is always going to be an App with dynamic upgrades in progress.  There is zero costs to download or install it ahead.

Once connected to ship's WiFi inTRAnet, test by using it first and if you feel it is fine, take the plunge and subscribe/activate/agree to pay for the optional functions ... texting & calling.  

Web browsing, email access & other use requiring access to the firewalled inTERnet is a different discussion.