Currently on the Armonia - Captain just announced we will not be docking in Havana 😢

travelingtink

19 hours ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Carnival is offering 100 obc to those that stay, 50 and switch to another ship or ports or full refund and have cancelled Cuba. It's on their page.

Thanks for the info about Carnival's policy.  I'm hoping MSC offers the same so that I can cancel.  The main purpose of booking the cruise was Cuba.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, galatea27 said:

Thanks for the info about Carnival's policy.  I'm hoping MSC offers the same so that I can cancel.  The main purpose of booking the cruise was Cuba.

Us as well. We don't mind smaller ships but older ones as well? Not our first choice. I'm sure MSC CEO realize they are competing with other lines for business and the other lines have 'supplied' so they are in demand. They will know they need to do something to join that. Will it be as good as RCCL and NCL? Probably not and i'm not expecting that.

• Like 1

This is the update from Royal Caribbean:

Cuba Update - June 5, 2019 at 2:30 pm EST

Effective immediately, the U.S. government has implemented new regulations that prohibits travel from the U.S. to Cuba by cruise ship.  This change requires us to immediately replace all Cuban ports.  For all 2019 sailings on both Majesty of the Seas and Empress of the Seas, we have secured alternative ports and we are in the process of communicating the new itineraries to our guests and travel partners.  For these guests, they will have the option of remaining on their sailing with the new itinerary and receiving a 50% refund or they may cancel their cruise and receive a full refund.

For 2020 sailings on both Majesty and Empress of the Seas, we are working to secure alternative itineraries and expect to be able to communicate to our guests and travel partners within the next week.

We are sorry for this unexpected and sudden change to our guests’ upcoming vacations and appreciate their understanding.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, the policy for flying into Cuba according to Delta is that if you booked before June 5, you can travel as planned.  People to people is ok by air if you already paid but not by sea.   Of course the government would be forcing the airlines to refund money if they set the same restrictions on airlines as they have cruises so the make exceptions.  I suppose they believe that even if you dont go to Cuba on your cruise you still get something so there is not a requirement for cruise lines to give any compensation.  Unfortunately, particularly for cruises within the 90 day window where the ship is mostly booked and payment must be in full, and there is just as much if not more to lose because much like airline passengers, the purpose for this trip was to visit Cuba whether people to people, support for the cuban people, or just to visit some family for a couple of days.

U.S. Restrictions on Cuba Travel

On June 4, 2019, the U.S. Office of Foreign Asset Control announced new restrictions for travel to Cuba. This means Delta can no longer carry any customers to Cuba under the previously allowed “group people-to-people” travel authorization. These changes do NOT apply to customers who booked travel prior to June 5 (meaning up until midnight of June 4).  Customers who booked on June 4 or before can travel to Cuba under the people to people travel authorization. Delta will always operate within the limits of law and will continue to collect a certification from each customer for their travel reason to Cuba.

Please visit the U.S. Department of the Treasury news page to learn more, opens in a new window.

On 6/5/2019 at 11:03 AM, travelingtink said:

They just finished all the multi language announcements. Due to the nex travel restrictions imposed yesterday we will not be docking in Havana. They have not yet determined alternatives.

Everything I read led me to believe we would be okay because we were already paid but I guess not. Also even though this only affects US citizens travel, the captain said that since we left from a US port, we would not be allowed to dock in Cuba. So I imagine MSC can eventually continue going to Cuba if they originate somewhere else. 

The press release and website are stating y'all are getting 400 OBC. Can you confirm?

MSC site does not say anything about OBC for future sailings on those onboard now. https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/About-MSC/News/MSC-Cruises-Cuba-Update.aspx 

MSC Cruises Cuba Update

6/4/2019

Update: June 6, 2019 at 10:30am: 
In connection with the U.S. Administration changes to regulations regarding travel to Cuba which eliminate as of June 5 the prior authorization permitting cruise ships to travel from the U.S. to Cuba, MSC Cruises will modify effective immediately all its cruise itineraries previously scheduled to call that country. 

Due to these substantial changes in U.S. law and regulation, MSC Armonia is no longer authorized to call the port of Havana, Cuba, as part of her current Caribbean sailings. The alternative ports of either Key West, Florida; Costa Maya, Mexico; George Town, Cayman Islands; or Cozumel, Mexico will replace Havana, Cuba. The remainder of MSC Armonia’s itinerary will remain as originally planned. 

Guests currently on board MSC Armonia and their travel agents have already been informed and will receive: 

• $400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the Guest’s onboard account.
Guests on future MSC Armonia sailings that was scheduled to visit Cuba will be offered:
  • The possibility to change ship and itinerary. MSC Cruises will waive cancellation fees and transfer already paid funds to the new booking.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

It indicates it will waive cancellation fees and transfer balance for rebooking.  Does that mean you must rebook or you can cancel and get a full refund?  At this point, frustration is getting the best of me and I may just eat the airfare loss and cancel if I can get the entire cruise fare back.  

Edited by sanbixby

Just now, sanbixby said:

MSC site does not say anything about OBC for future sailings on those onboard now. https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/About-MSC/News/MSC-Cruises-Cuba-Update.aspx 

MSC Cruises Cuba Update

6/4/2019

In connection with the U.S. Administration changes to regulations regarding travel to Cuba which eliminate as of June 5 the prior authorization permitting cruise ships to travel from the U.S. to Cuba, MSC Cruises will modify effective immediately all its cruise itineraries previously scheduled to call that country. 

Due to these substantial changes in U.S. law and regulation, MSC Armonia is no longer authorized to call the port of Havana, Cuba, as part of her current Caribbean sailings. The alternative ports of either Key West, Florida; Costa Maya, Mexico; George Town, Cayman Islands; or Cozumel, Mexico will replace Havana, Cuba. The remainder of MSC Armonia’s itinerary will remain as originally planned. 

Guests currently on board MSC Armonia and their travel agents have already been informed and will receive: 

• $400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the Guest’s onboard account.
Guests on future MSC Armonia sailings that was scheduled to visit Cuba will be offered:
  • The possibility to change ship and itinerary. MSC Cruises will waive cancellation fees and transfer already paid funds to the new booking.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

It indicates it will waive cancellation fees and transfer balance for rebooking.  Does that mean you must rebook or you can cancel and get a full refund?  At this point, frustration is getting the best of me and I may just eat the airfare loss and cancel if I can get the entire cruise fare back.  

Someone on the other thread works for Cruise critic and talked to PR. Website is not right. All passengers who stay with booked sailing get 400 OBO per cabin.

11 minutes ago, sanbixby said:

MSC Cruises Cuba Update

6/4/2019

Updated report for you. 😀

Screenshot_20190606-131014.png

4 hours ago, galatea27 said:

Just saw this on MSC's web site.  They didn't go the way RCL and Carnival did with giving a full refund.

Very disappointed because Cuba was the main reason for the cruise.

MSC Cruises Cuba Update

6/4/2019

I was really hoping to get deposit refunded but doesn't look very likely 😞 Might have to suck up loss of deposit.  The Armonia itinerary without Cuba does not appeal.  Cruised all those ports many times. At least we hadn't booked our transatlantic flights. 

I haven't heard from MSC yet but my travel agent just reached out to me to tell me our new itinerary (sea day and Key West) and I asked about the OBC.  That is only being offered to those currently on the ship because they did not have an opportunity to rebook like everyone else will have.  

5 minutes ago, sanbixby said:

I haven't heard from MSC yet but my travel agent just reached out to me to tell me our new itinerary (sea day and Key West) and I asked about the OBC.  That is only being offered to those currently on the ship because they did not have an opportunity to rebook like everyone else will have.  

Wow!  MSC has posted on the Cuba thread post #332 and here's a screen shot of the MSC website... your TA hasn't got a clue.

Screenshot_20190606-153112.png

9 minutes ago, sanbixby said:

She just messaged me again and said now we are getting it.

This has been a headache and a half cruise.  I am half afraid we are going to board and sink. 🙂

It was originally a 50th bday girls trip and then, at day 89, my best friend's car was hit by another car and her ankle was shattered.  We canceled and rebooked under a different promo (saved some money even with losing the deposit) with my husband going in hopes she would mend and we could swap names out and she could go.  No such luck.  Then the school system I work for added 6/17 as a work day. And now Cuba...  I need a vacation from my vacation!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sanbixby said:

She just messaged me again and said now we are getting it.

This has been a headache and a half cruise.  I am half afraid we are going to board and sink. 🙂

It was originally a 50th bday girls trip and then, at day 89, my best friend's car was hit by another car and her ankle was shattered.  We canceled and rebooked under a different promo (saved some money even with losing the deposit) with my husband going in hopes she would mend and we could swap names out and she could go.  No such luck.  Then the school system I work for added 6/17 as a work day. And now Cuba...  I need a vacation from my vacation!

Are you in a year round school system then? We got out last week and us teachers don't go back till July 31st. I am taking some paid training this month though.

5 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Are you in a year round school system then? We got out last week and us teachers don't go back till July 31st. I am taking some paid training this month though.

No. We historically begin near Labor Day and end mid-June.  Our governor mandated a post Labor Day start and end date by June 15th (which is why I felt comfortable booking the cruise). But with snow days, we needed and additional day to meet the required number of student hours (addition of June 17th) 

I have a quick question for someone on the Armonia this week. What would be your recommendation on WIFI? Is there an area of free WiFi or should a package be purchased?

I am on the 6/17/19 sailing... I was looking forward to Havana like everyone else and now we are going to Key West like you all. The double bummer is that I am spending the Friday through Sunday before the cruise in..... Key West. Kinda repetitive...wish there was another port someplace else... 

Thank You and enjoy your time away! Don’t let these curveballs stop to fun!

They just finished all the multi language announcements. Due to the nex travel restrictions imposed yesterday we will not be docking in Havana. They have not yet determined alternatives.

Everything I read led me to believe we would be okay because we were already paid but I guess not. Also even though this only affects US citizens travel, the captain said that since we left from a US port, we would not be allowed to dock in Cuba. So I imagine MSC can eventually continue going to Cuba if they originate somewhere else. 

I have a quick question to someone on the armonia. I am on the 6/17 sailing. Would you recommend a WiFi package or is there an area of free WiFi that can be used? I’m sorry to hear about the discontinued stops Havanna like everyone else. That is the reason for booking that cruise for all of us.  I am disappointed that we will be stopping at key West. Was hoping for another port since we will be staying at key west 6/14 -6/16 before the cruise. Oh well enjoy you trip!!!

Hey OP. Once you get home and settled. If you have the activities papers from boarding day, can you scan it? Also, what activities did they add for the unexpected sea day? Thanks!

11 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Hey OP. Once you get home and settled. If you have the activities papers from boarding day, can you scan it? Also, what activities did they add for the unexpected sea day? Thanks!

I posted the activities pages for the week we were onboard on the following thread (post #170) as you requested at the time:

https://www.msccruises.ie/en-ie/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

• Like 1

Just now, Beamafar said:

I posted the activities pages for the week we were onboard on the following thread (post #170) as you requested at the time:

https://www.msccruises.ie/en-ie/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

I know but just curious as to what additional activities were added since it's only supposed to be 1 sea day and is now 2.