COSTA MAYA port

cruise#14

Costa Maya is a port like no other that I've seen. The area looks just beautiful though. We were traveling with my 80 year old mother so we didn't do any shore excursions as they were way too long in length although our tablemates took one.

The good thing is that you are docked and not tendered. The area itself has a concrete wall around it. There are the usual jewelry shops around the perimeter and the Mexican shops are in the middle. "Come here lady...more junk!" was the call from one of those stores. I saw some of the same items that you can get in Puerta Vallarta there, too. There is a salt water pool and a small beach area with the usual "spring break" activities and drinking--really a college-type scene. There is an open-air Mexican restaurant which I thought would have reasonable drink prices but no, they didn't look cheap to me.

If you find the posts from Radio, he has some links where you can see a nice photo of Costa Maya.

Our tablemates went to one of the ruins on a shore excursion and if I recall, they said that it took about two hours just to get there. Lunch was included and after they ate, the bus driver asked that they not throw any leftovers out--just leave them on the seat because the locals would appreciate getting them. Good thing they said this "after" eating.

Hope this helps--we'll stay onboard next time we're in Costa Maya.

Scully's Mom

There also is a little village of Majahuala a couple of miles to the left from the dock. You can walk there or take a $3 taxi ride. We took an private excursion to the Mayan ruins and then hung out at the beach in Majahual for the rest of the afternoon.

Here is a link to my pictures from that day: http://community.webshots.com/album/527685047YCNWgf

We were just there last week and is one of our favorite ports!! It is so beautiful and unspoiled. The area where you dock is nice and a great day if you want to just relax, swim, and eat. We ate at Banditos--lobster and mahi mahi burritos-YUM! We took a shuttle over to Mahahual. It was $3 per person. Very lovely. You can walk up and down the road which is closed to traffic and shop, or sit on the pristine beach and be waited on, or sit in a shaded hut. Cheap beer and food over there. We took a taxi back, again $3 per person.

I think most people don't adventure out of the dock area and that is fine, but Mahahual is definitely worth a visit. A couple we had done other snorkeling excursions with at other ports did a snorkeling excursion in Costa Maya and said it was fabulous. This port is only like a year old, so it has not built up as much as others, but in my opinion, that's the beauty of it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Archived