Nice (Villefranche) & Oceanographic Museum in Monaco

pl281

We are going to be on a cruise stopping in Nice (Villefranche) this July & none of the excursions really interest us as we've done Nice & Monaco before.

We are thinking / looking into going to the Oceanographic Museum. It looks to be about a 30 minute trip from the dock - 

1) Has anyone done this 

2) Do you have any recommendations if we wanted to schedule a car service ahead of time

Thanks

It's pretty easy to DIY.

From the tender jetty to Villefranche rail station is an easy & level 10 -15 minute walk, trains roughly every half-hour (quite a scenic trip).

On a map the Oceanographic museum is a 25 minute walk from the station - but it's at the top of a very steep hill, on the same plateau as the cathedral & Royal Palace if you remember seeing them, so you might want to take a taxi (don't know if it's a bus route).

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

JB - 

Thanks for the reply - 

After I posted I continued to research this and it does look pretty each and considering we have about 12 hours in port I think it is a safe DIY trip

Both in Monaco are on bus route #1 a €1 each trip, the bus runs from jardin exotique via the station and ends up on the rock only a short stroll to the oceanography building. You can get a good value ticket for here and the Royal palace, worth considering. Also good restaurants in the alleys of the old town.

I would also recommend the #100 bus because it is less costly then the train, runs more often, and has a more convenient stop in Monte Carlo.  We also prefer the bus because it gets you a more scenic ride then the train which spends an awful lot of time in tunnels.  When you get ashore in Villefranche you can ask any local to point you in the direction of the nearest bus stop which, like the train, involves a short hike including going uphill.

Hank