Wait List Experience?

Flgreg

Hello-I saw a cruise on the Explorer Barcelona to Dubai, 22 nights departing November 6, 2020 in a mailing. When I went online I noticed every cabin category but one was wait listed. Does that happen often for a sailing well over a year away? Also, what is the chance of it opening up? The Regent rep told me you can wait list up to 5 cabin categories with with no deposit (or $500 refundable for priority waitlist). Once you're notified of it opening you have a brief period of time to make a decision and place a full deposit.

I don't know how willing we'd be to put our life/plans on hold that long unless there is a good chance we'll get what we want, and know sooner rather than later. We're on the Explorer next month for a Baltic sailing so I suppose we can ask more detailed questions once onboard but any comments from people experienced with this process would be much appreciated. The Regent rep did say the future booking wait list while onboard does not qualify for any discount.

Thanks.

Hi - we are on that cruise.  It seems that when certain parts of the world suddenly become popular (again), ships can fill up almost 2 years I'm advance.  When we did this itinerary (almost identical but left from Istanbul), the ship was not full.  The fluctuations are likely due to whatever is going on in the Middle East at the moment.

In any case, the odds are good that there will be cancellations between now and the ship sails.  I recommend putting down a deposit (believe that it is 100% refundable if you do not clear the waitlist).  Without a deposit, you will be be below people on the waitlist that have made a deposit.

Hope that you are able to get on the cruise - it was so good last time that we're doing it again!

Thanks very much Travelcat2. Do you know if we would be required to obtain visas or is there a “blanket” visa for the ship provided you stay on the ship’s excursions (like with St. Petersburg)? 

11 minutes ago, Flgreg said:

Thanks very much Travelcat2. Do you know if we would be required to obtain visas or is there a “blanket” visa for the ship provided you stay on the ship’s excursions (like with St. Petersburg)? 

No visas required.

I've managed to talk us into this one, mainly because the $500 per person deposit for "priority" wait list " is completely refundable even if we clear the wait list. 

2 hours ago, Flgreg said:

I've managed to talk us into this one, mainly because the $500 per person deposit for "priority" wait list " is completely refundable even if we clear the wait list. 

Great - let us know when you clear the wait list!