You can’t make this stuff up.

Charles4515

The public ferries and public buses are not running until 1:00 pm today for a union meeting. So several thousand passengers arriving on Summit at 11 and no service. They announced this when shop cleared. Escape is also here. The meeting started at 9. 

I am am not affected because I am on a minibus to the beach as I had planned. 

38 minutes ago, ClarkBHM said:

Wow! I bet the taxi drivers are happy though. Is the NCL ferry to St. George's still running?

I don’t know about the NCL ferry as I came in on Summit. Since it is not a public ferry, NCL owns it, one would expect it to not be effected but I guess one never knows with the Bermuda unions.

The private minibuses were doing a booming business but there was no shortage. I saw plenty of taxis waiting by the docks. 

Charles - you must be on the Summit with my parents.  They mentioned the strike when I talked to them today.  They did mention that they saw that the NCL ferry was running, but like you, they are on the Summit so that was of no help to them today.

14 hours ago, Pandot said:

Charles - you must be on the Summit with my parents.  They mentioned the strike when I talked to them today.  They did mention that they saw that the NCL ferry was running, but like you, they are on the Summit so that was of no help to them today.

Yes. I am on the Summit. It was not a strike but it had the same effect. The bus drivers and ferry workers were having a meeting to ratify a new collective bargaining agreement with the government, which they did. I can’t believe they needed to do it during a busy weekday but that’s the way it happens in Bermuda. 

The only time I was in Bermuda they were having a strike.  Add to it some road work and it made getting around very hard.  At the time Bermuda was on my must do list so we were really disappointed.  I will be returning this October and am going with a positive attitude that this time I will get to enjoy Bermuda.

43 minutes ago, HOSKI said:

The only time I was in Bermuda they were having a strike.  Add to it some road work and it made getting around very hard.  At the time Bermuda was on my must do list so we were really disappointed.  I will be returning this October and am going with a positive attitude that this time I will get to enjoy Bermuda.

Been to Bermuda a bunch of times on a land trip and loved it every time. Wonderful country, wonderful people.  No strikes or anything that got in the way of a great vacation.  Hope to be there on a cruise next Oct. so we will see if anything changed.   Hope not. 

• Like 1

I just don't understand why the bus/taxi unions always have contract issues in the summer when there's tons of tourists.  Make your deals in the winter when the cruise ships aren't there.  Not only are they wasting our time, they are wasting the money that we would have spent using them.

18 hours ago, bambiying said:

I just don't understand why the bus/taxi unions always have contract issues in the summer when there's tons of tourists.

I suspect because they have greater leverage with management when there are more riders to be inconvenienced.

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:28 AM, Charles4515 said:

The public ferries and public buses are not running until 1:00 pm today for a union meeting. So several thousand passengers arriving on Summit at 11 and no service. They announced this when shop cleared. Escape is also here. The meeting started at 9. 

I am am not affected because I am on a minibus to the beach as I had planned. 

I was on the Escape, it was in the Freestyle Daily so they must have been notified prior. We had to modify our plans luckily we still had the NCL ferry that took us to St Georges.