Opinions on Rumbaba charters?

llgator

I did this trip 5 years ago and Captain Bobby was the Captain. When I go to the website now it shows Captain Chad. Am I confused or has there been a change? If so, has the service changed?

Mindi

Thanks for the heads up PTN96 - it looks like Captain Bobby sold out.

http://www.rumbabacharters.com/The-Crew.html

Hopefully the experiance will be just as good as we're booked for next March. I'll be keeping my eye on the reviews.

Looking to book this tour on the Rumbaba for Jan. 10 2012. Need two more people, or four more. They will only have a max of 6 people on sailboat. If interested you can go to their website :

www.RumbabaCharters.com

Two questions, or suggestions, for you:

1. Have you asked them to book? Do they refuse unless you have at least 6?

2. Have you tried the roll call for your cruise? That is the best way to reach people who will be in port the same day you are there. If you don't know what I mean then tell us what ship and sailing date you're on and I'll point the way.

Two questions, or suggestions, for you:

1. Have you asked them to book? Do they refuse unless you have at least 6?

2. Have you tried the roll call for your cruise? That is the best way to reach people who will be in port the same day you are there. If you don't know what I mean then tell us what ship and sailing date you're on and I'll point the way.

1. Yes, they will try to book on their end. They want at least a party of 4.

2. No I haven't posted on roll call as yet, but I will. Saw the thread here and thought I would post, but I agree, I need to post on roll call. Thanks for your response.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking to book this tour on the Rumbaba for Jan. 10 2012. Need two more people, or four more. They will only have a max of 6 people on sailboat. If interested you can go to their website :

www.RumbabaCharters.com[/quote

you can try highpockets they sail with a min of two and a max of six We have booked with them for the 16 of Jan.

Paul

119 days to go

Have you used them before?

No I have not use them before Had Captain Max before but they went to an min of 4 pass for booking Or I would have book ed with them . With High pockets you get a fast replay from Kathleen. I have book with them in Apr 2011 for our cruise in Jan 2012, Can pay by CC or cash. By cash there is a $10 discount

Paul

We have gone with Bobby 3 times and always had a good time. We will miss him.

Most of the time snorkeling I just saw the usual that you see all the time. But the last time I swam parallel to the shore and saw a turtle, followed him for awhile, looked to my left and saw a stingray, followed him for awhile, looked to the right and saw a spotted eagle ray and followed him for awhile. It was great. I never thought to see the rays. It's just the luck of the draw and I got lucky that day.

Sherry

This sounds like a nice excursion, I have a couple of questions from anyone that has done this, 1-I know that they allow only 6 at a time, do you know if they cancel if we reserve with only 2 people booking?

2- I read the website, am I reading this right that is appx 500.00 person for a 1/2 day sale?

Thanks in advance for any answers:confused:

did rumbaba with my wife and another couple. It was fun but I dont feel it was worth the amount we spent personally. I enjoyed taking the ferry to st john and spending the day on the beach there MUCH better.

Try New Horizons Day Sail. It sails from Sapphire Marina, which is about 1/2 mile past Redhook Marina. We did a full daysail when we stayed on the island in July 2011. Cost was $60 for the full daysail. It included lunch, two snorkel stops, and drinks. The painkillers and bushwackers were awesome! We sailed from 9am-4pm. Definatley worth the money. The boat is very nice. It is larger so we had 12 people on board our sail (our group of 4 plus 8 others). We are going to be in St. Thomas again in November and have already booked another sail with New Horizons.

We sailed Rumbaba tours on our cruise last year.

But found that there wasn't enough time for snorkeling. We spent 1.5 hr just sailing out to our first location and the waters were incredibly rough that day so we felt quite ill. The 2 spots were great; however, would have enjoyed more time in the water.

• 4 months later...

We've done it twice and had a blast. This was with Bobby. I understand there is a new captain. A friend of ours went a few months ago and said it was one of the best excursions they've done. I am glad to hear quality has not declined with new ownership.

We were taken to some beautiful places, an alcove in St. John, a private island, and two uninhabited islands between St. John and St. Thomas where I did some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean.

so how much is it per person to sail with Rumbaba? Has anyone here sailed with them in December? How are the conditions and water temperature?

Their current web site lists "general rates" of $140/pp on their full day sail. That is line with what we're paying although they also give a discount for cash payment.

so how much is it per person to sail with Rumbaba? Has anyone here sailed with them in December? How are the conditions and water temperature?

Well we sailed with them on January 30, 2012. The weather was beautiful - 78 to 80 degrees and the water temp was a little cool, but not bad. The cost was $650 for four, but we did book through a concierge. Got a $20 discount for paying cash, which isn't much but better than nothing. You might do better to contact them directly and eliminate the middleman.

It was a fabulous day and Chad and Laurie were most hospitable and very knowledgeable. You will not get better food anywhere - mango cheese dip, fresh grilled mahi mahi, pasta salad, cookies and the like. Those painkillers were incredible! But there are MANY other drinks to be had. Good luck and you won't be disappointed if you book with them.

Archived