Best Snorkeling??

VHK

We will be on the Grand Princess in the Western Carribean and would like to do one of the snorkeling excursions and would like to know the best one? Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, or Grand Cayman?? Keeping in mind that we prefer to see more fish/stingray/sharks than coral.

We will be on the Grand Princess in the Western Carribean and would like to do one of the snorkeling excursions and would like to know the best one? Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, or Grand Cayman?? Keeping in mind that we prefer to see more fish/stingray/sharks than coral.

VHK,

I'm not the snorkeler in the family but usually join DH on his excursions and while GC and Stingray City is a virtual guarantee to encounter these wonderful creatures, I would recommend Belize for snorkeling. There are two wonderful snorkeling excursions offered there; one is Rendezvous Caye and the other is Shark and Ray Alley...DH and everyone on our excursions raved about both. There are pictures on our website, follow the link below.

Of the places you're going, we've only been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I HATED Cozumel! We had gone to Chankanaab Lagoon and the water was not clear and it was also rough... I did not enjoy it at all... Stingray City on Grand Cayman, on the other hand, was spectacular - truly a MUST SEE!! It is almost a surreal experience... you go out so far into the ocean, can not see land, yet you get out of the boat and can stand! The rays are amazing!! they surround you in a gentle, magical way!!!

I've not been to Belize, but I've heard it has some of the best snorkeling in the world... so you may want to check that out!

Have fun!!!

Belize and Grand Cayman are your top snorkle spots, Cozumel is ok.

Superior are the independent tours, with Cpt. Marvin my top choice in Cayman on their 1/2 day tour.

Dzul Ha in Cozumel is a good snorkle area if you just want to take a cab and jump in at a decent site. Bring a couple boxes of rice krispies from the buffet.

Belize and Grand Cayman are your top snorkle spots, Cozumel is ok.

Superior are the independent tours, with Cpt. Marvin my top choice in Cayman on their 1/2 day tour.

Dzul Ha in Cozumel is a good snorkle area if you just want to take a cab and jump in at a decent site. Bring a couple boxes of rice krispies from the buffet.

It's sad, but the shore reefs at Cozumel were virtually destroyed by Wilma. I, too, preferred Dzul Ha for shore snorkeling. As a Consequence, there likely aren't many fish. Unfortunately, it will take the reefs a long time to recover.

I, too, heartily endorse Grand Cayman's Capt Marvin. But be sure to book the three stop (1/2 day) trip.

The ship's Rendezvous Cay snorkel trip at Belize is great, and you don't have to tender in. The catamaran picks up at the ship.

The problem with GC is the tendering and port times. For insurance, book a ship's tour in advance so you'll have a backup. There's both a Reef & Wreck snorkel and an Original Stingray City trip. The timing is right so they can be booked B2B.

Whether to book an independent is based on how many ships will be in port and if you can make the tour times.

The same is tru for Coz.

At Coz, Both Eagle Ray and Manta Ray are first rate snorkel operators. Again, if there aren't too many ships in, you can probably hook up with an afternoon snorkel. GP is offering a ship's snorkel to Columbia/Palancar reefs. These are drift snorkels.

To date, all of the ship sponsored snorkel trips have enjoyed priority tender boarding so you don't have to stand on line for a ticket. Some of these lines have reportedly necessitated a 1 - 2 hours long wait for an early to midday tender.

BTW - Even some of the shallower off shore reefs at Coz were damaged and/or covered by sand. I haven't returned since Wilma, but I got this info from both Manta Ray Divers and the Cozumel discussion board:

http://mytravelboard.com/cozumel/

When in Grand Caymen you can get excellant snorkeling from shore. We were there jan 12 this year and found several good spots. I snorkled around cheesburger reef, (by the Burger King) access was down the street next to the Glass Blowers shop. There was a little sand beach public access where you could walk in. The reef was about 70 yards out (just look for the excursion boats it is one of there stops. DS snorkeled at Eden Rock which is about 100 yards from the tender peir. Here there are steps into the water. You can sit on the step and put on your fins. Reef is about 40 yards out (again just look for the excursion boats) DS saw alot of fish including a 5ft nurse shark. There is also a small bar and dive shop here. I sampled several bottles of beer here instead of snorkeling and the funny thing is that after about six I started seeing fish without getting in the water. One warning though is that the shore is ironrock and very sharp.

As I said we saw dive and snorkel excursions at both places, and didn't have to spend any $ to get to them.

When in Grand Caymen you can get excellant snorkeling from shore. We were there jan 12 this year and found several good spots. I snorkled around cheesburger reef, (by the Burger King) access was down the street next to the Glass Blowers shop. There was a little sand beach public access where you could walk in. The reef was about 70 yards out (just look for the excursion boats it is one of there stops. DS snorkeled at Eden Rock which is about 100 yards from the tender peir. Here there are steps into the water. You can sit on the step and put on your fins. Reef is about 40 yards out (again just look for the excursion boats) DS saw alot of fish including a 5ft nurse shark. There is also a small bar and dive shop here. I sampled several bottles of beer here instead of snorkeling and the funny thing is that after about six I started seeing fish without getting in the water. One warning though is that the shore is ironrock and very sharp.

As I said we saw dive and snorkel excursions at both places, and didn't have to spend any $ to get to them.

Absolutely, an excellent choice!! I was blathering on so much, I totally forgot about Eden's Rock. There are at least two dive shops there. You can see the red/white striped dive sign from your ship. I snorkeled from the second shop. They have rental lockers and a rinse tank with easy ladder access. Just follow the street to the right (facing shoreward). As Bohunk said, it is hard pan. You'll need to either wear water shoes or have your fins on as you enter.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

Here's a good snorkeling guide for Brand Cayman, featuring lots of shore entry points:

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

Archived