Would it be pointless to do both a bear tour and the Misty Fjords flight same day?

Skylarr29

We are waitlisted to see if we can get the permit to go with islands wings to Anan for bear watching. If we can not get it we are pre reserved to do the excursion through the trip. My question is how similar are these tours?? Should I do both in the same day? Trying to get all this info together. TIA

They really aren't similar as the Anan flight is transportation based. If you take a Misty fjords flightseeing there is much more scenery, commentary and flying involved. But you are unlikely to have a chance to do both, since Anan is several hours and Ketchikan is usually not long port hours. You may wish to consider a private charter with the addition of scenic Misty fjords flightseeing if it is a priority for you??

Hi BQ. After re-reading my question I guess it wasn't 100% clear. We are waitlisted with Island wings for the Anan bear trip from 7-12... we are just waiting to see if we can get the permit as a few extra will be distributed in late feb or early march according to Michelle...in the mean time she has us reserved for the Misty Fjords flight seeing tour from 1:30-3:30. So I just wanted to know if the tours were similar or different and if I should do both with Michelle in the same day. If we do not get the permit to go to Anan I have a shor eexcursion booked through the cruise ship to see bears and then I was thinking of still taking the Misty Fjords flight with Island Wings if it was worth it. TIA

Skylarr, we are in the same position as you... waiting to see if Michelle will be able to get permits for the day we'll be in Ketchikan...

If we are not able to go to Anan, EVERYTHING I've read on her (as well as others') tours to Misty Fjords, is nothing short of spectacular!

Let's cross our fingers for the Anan trip though.. that's supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience as well!

Good luck,

Lisa

I would not book anything from your ship for your timeframe, if you are going in July?? except another Anan trip, you are too early for their tours to Traitors and Neets. If a "no name" avoid it. See if Carlin Air, or Southeast Aviation can get permits, if Island Wings can not. This is the only place I recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all --

We booked with Alaska Seaplane Tours last year (we honeymooned in Alaska at the end of August / early September) and were able to tour Misty Fjords and go bear watching in Hyder, AK on the same excursion.

http://www.alaskaseaplanetours.com/

The platform in Hyder, AK is Fish Creek Observation platform.

Did we see bear? You bet!

Your chances of seeing a bear are about even at all of the platforms, regardless of which one you choose.

Misty Fjords was amazing -- and shouldn't be missed!

I hear Island Wings is wonderful, but if it doesn't pan out, contact Ryan at Alaska Seaplanes -- or even call him if you're looking for another possible choice.

Alaska Seaplanes took great care of us -- great service -- and a fantastic price.

Enjoy!

~ trish

I'm not sure which operator offers it, but as I was doing research I noticed that one of the "big three" operators offered a Misty Fjords flight add on to the Anan Creek trip. The cost was only $75-100 more which was considerably cheaper than doing a separate trip.

We checked the Princess Excursions information about the bear sighting excursion and the site states that it is offered beginning July 24 (which is a couple weeks too early for us). We have also written Island Wings and are waiting a reply.

What is the significance of July 24th?

Thanks for mentioning Alaska Seaplanes, Southeast Aviation, and Carlin Air. We will contact them if Island Wings is full.

We checked the Princess Excursions information about the bear sighting excursion and the site states that it is offered beginning July 24 (which is a couple weeks too early for us). We have also written Island Wings and are waiting a reply.

What is the significance of July 24th?

Thanks for mentioning Alaska Seaplanes, Southeast Aviation, and Carlin Air. We will contact them if Island Wings is full.

If I saw correctly you are going begining of July??? You are too early for any bear tours out of Ketchikan. They are dependent on the salmon runs.

Just a word of warning. Their is a bear viewing platform at Polk Inlet on Prince of Wales island. Some tour operators have tried to utilize it as a back up destination. The only thing you are likely to see there are salmon. If you get lucky a black bear may make a very brief apperance. Usually less than 60 seconds. This area is heavily hunted by the local population. The bears are very leary of this area. A trip their is a waste of money.

I was hoping you would catch my question.

That makes sense and is a good piece of information. Thank you.

With this in mind, should we not expect to find a specific bear excursion at any point in our vacation? We plan to take the longest Kenai Fjords tour after the cruise. Will we see some there although maybe not congregated as we would have on the Anan Creek tour?

You have been so wonderful and your advice has been extremely helpful to us. We are on the July 3rd northbound sailing and are set for Juneau (Capt. Larry followed by Coastal helicopter/dogsled). We are still discussing what to do in Ketchikan and Skagway. We have pages of notes (thanks to you) for everything from getting out on the front of the ship to Fish Creek at Denali. I'm sure we will be seeking your help as these exciting threads narrow our choices.

I was hoping you would catch my question.

That makes sense and is a good piece of information. Thank you.

With this in mind, should we not expect to find a specific bear excursion at any point in our vacation? We plan to take the longest Kenai Fjords tour after the cruise. Will we see some there although maybe not congregated as we would have on the Anan Creek tour?

You have been so wonderful and your advice has been extremely helpful to us. We are on the July 3rd northbound sailing and are set for Juneau (Capt. Larry followed by Coastal helicopter/dogsled). We are still discussing what to do in Ketchikan and Skagway. We have pages of notes (thanks to you) for everything from getting out on the front of the ship to Fish Creek at Denali. I'm sure we will be seeking your help as these exciting threads narrow our choices.

Anan can be a good option, Denali Park you will see bears, but as you probably already know, they are the rodent/berry/root eaters, and half size browns compared to coastal bears. The fly ins out of Homer would offer you the best option for those. Anan is not in any way "congested" and my top pick for Inside passage bear viewing. Of all my trips to Kenai Fjords, I have only seen a black bear, one time, walking on the shore near Holgate Glacier. Don't expect any sightings.

Archived