Acceptable clothing for excursions in China?

CocaColaCruiser

Karen

When we did China on the Regal Princess, 3-01, ashore my wife wore mainly polo-shirt type tops and either capris or shorts, depending on weather and humidity.

It was very cold, windy, and gritty dusty in Beijing, and we did have to layer there.

Most of the rest of our trip, Singapore to Beijing, was hot/humid SE Asia weather.

I just spent a month (October 2005) in China, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Beijing varied from cool (50's) to the 70's. Other than teenagers and 20 somethings, you do not see anyone wearing jeans. Shorts are also something that are only seen on tourists.

I took 6 pairs of Dockers and 10 Land's End polo shirts. Perfect with a blazer when it was in the 50's and nice and comfy all the rest of the time. Paired everything with my good loafers. Laundry is very cheap, so I just had the clothes washed once a week and was good to go.

If you are staying at a 5* hotel, the dress is definitely upscale in the restaurants and lounges. We went on a Yangtze River cruise (Victoria line) and even on shore excursions, I saw very few jeans and NO shorts.

Asians dress up, most of them VERY dressy. Some of the temples frown heavily on VERY casual clothing, bare shoulders, and shorts.

Wow! Another Pacific Princess passenger for summer 2006! I was beginning to think we were the only ones! Wrong cruise though....we travel on the June 30 sailing out of Beijing. I, too, have been wondering about dress codes since it will be so HOT. Shorts are about all I wear in the heat of the summer. I need to read more on this. I hate to think that I will need to wear long pants while site seeing in China.

Wow! Another Pacific Princess passenger for summer 2006! I was beginning to think we were the only ones! Wrong cruise though....we travel on the June 30 sailing out of Beijing. I, too, have been wondering about dress codes since it will be so HOT. Shorts are about all I wear in the heat of the summer. I need to read more on this. I hate to think that I will need to wear long pants while site seeing in China.

You will be MUCH more comfortable in a long or mid calf cotton skirt. Lots of airflow and if you run into a "squat" toilet, at least you won't have to deal with trying to keep shorts or pants off the floor, while trying to maintain your balance. It is truly a contortion if you are not used to it.

You will really stick out as a tourist in shorts and/or white tennies. Be prepared to be bombarded by vendors and beggars. There is a large expat community in China, so it is NOT that you are a westerner that makes you a target. It truly is shorts, tennies, jeans, fanny pack, etc. that marks you as a tourist. Enjoy China.

PS-We own a business and a farm in Princeton. Spend about 1/2 the year in your neck of the woods.

Pretty much everything is ok. when its hot wear shorts. Do you really think they won't know you are a tourist anyway? The only place we saw a squat toliet was in a McDonalds otherwise use the handicap toilet(its always a commode). I can show you pictures if you want...of China not a toilet...

Do you really think they won't know you are a tourist anyway? The only place we saw a squat toliet was in a McDonalds otherwise use the handicap toilet(its always a commode). I can show you pictures if you want...of China not a toilet...

There is such a large expat community in China, you do NOT stick out as a tourist if you are dressed like everyone else. You are only a WESTERNER, maybe living or working in China. You may be Australian, French, or Canadian. When you put on shorts, etc. you may as well put on a sign that says AMERICAN. Definitely NOT a bad thing, but sure brings out the agressive vendors and beggars. You will NOT be dressed as other westerners are.

Do you really think they won't know you are a tourist anyway? The only place we saw a squat toliet was in a McDonalds otherwise use the handicap toilet(its always a commode). I can show you pictures if you want...of China not a toilet...

There is such a large expat community in China, you do NOT stick out as a tourist if you are dressed like everyone else. You are only a WESTERNER, maybe living or working in China. You may be Australian, French, or Canadian. When you put on shorts, etc. you may as well put on a sign that says AMERICAN. Definitely NOT a bad thing, but sure brings out the agressive vendors and beggars. You will NOT be dressed as other westerners are.

LOL I am sorry if I upset you but they still will know. We had no problem with aggressive hawkers except in Xian. Otherwise people kept coming up to us to try their english. Happened three times on the trip including a Chinese Army Officer on top of the Three Gorges Dam overlook(who wanted to take his picture with us and his two very pretty women with him)...PS I didn't wear shorts...

Archived