Which port on Western Caribbean has swim with dolphins?

DWH

We are all set with our 1st cruise (honeymoon) and are doing 7 day western cariebbean from Tampa.

Stops are

Grand Cayman

Costa Maya

Belize

Cozumel

I am looking at the off shore excursions and can not find the "swim with dolphins" I swore the TA told us it was either at Belize or Costa Maya.

If it was sold out already would it not be an option for us?

TIA

There is swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel...at the State park....starts with CH...I can NOT spell it...easy to find it. I don't know if Carnival has a ship sponsered excursion, but it's VERY easy to book it on your own on the net before you go. We've done it twice....it's GREAT .

Have fun

They have one that I think was $179 per person (ouch). I was going to do this but did some research into the dolphin swims and decided not to - haven't completed my research yet into which outfits might be more humane... but that's just an issue for me. Some of these groups capture wild dolphins (as opposed to breeding in captivity) and over 50% of the dolphins die before the first month is out.

There is swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel...at the State park....starts with CH...I can NOT spell it...easy to find it. I don't know if Carnival has a ship sponsered excursion, but it's VERY easy to book it on your own on the net before you go. We've done it twice....it's GREAT .

Have fun

ok this is not through carnival then, I remeber seeing it offered right when we booked our trip through an excusrion the one through carnival must have been all booked up already

Have fun

The park is called Chankanaab Park.....the swim is actually with Dolphin Discovery....depending on when you are going to Cozumel....right now they are not operational due to the hurricane. I have the swim reserved for the end of March and not sure we will be able to do it, waiting to see if Dolphin Discovery is up and running. It is also offered at Costa Maya for $159. This is a new excursion offered.

Does anyone have any information on the one in Costa Maya? I can't seem to find anything and Dolphin Discovery is not listed for Costa Maya.

Thanks!

firsttimepaz,

Just put Costa Maya into Google or some other search engine. I'm sure you can find tours and such there. :) Although it should come with a warning label saying 'addictive' :eek: good luck and welcome to cruising!:cool:

Luv's Crusin'

We did the Dolphin Discovery a year ago in Cozumel. IT was definitly well run and very humane. They take great photos and video tape as well. We booked directly with Dophin Discovery and if your ship cannont dock they have a refund policy.

Right now they are closed because of the Hurricanes, but hopefully they will reopen. The park is a wonderful place to spend the day.

I hope you find it and have fun.

Kathy

I too have been looking for the Dolphin Swim encounter. Looking at the Carnival sight for Cozumel excursions you don't see it offered there...but at Puerto Aventuras. Looks like the similar type of deal as the one at Coz but it is a bit higher price $165 ea :eek: and includes a 45-60 minute each way ferry ride. But, it does now say it is a 6.5 hr excursion and you get free time on their beach. I don't think the previous offering in Coz (pre Wilma) listed this.

So, is now the time to book? Or wait until we board in late March? If I book now, do I have to pay now? Also, at Dolphin Discovery, is it a video tape or DVD they shoot for you? Approximate cost?

Sorry, this is only my 2nd cruise and 1st w/ Carnival.

rns

Does anyone have any information on the one in Costa Maya? I can't seem to find anything and Dolphin Discovery is not listed for Costa Maya.

Thanks!

There isn't a dolphin discovery in Costa Maya....I saw the dolphin swim at Uvero beach offered as an excursion on the Carnival web site

We did the dolphin swim in Cozumel 2 yrs ago and it was great. Sure glad we did it then since it was only $99pp. If they open up again in time for you it's well worth it. Also, we did it on our own, not through the ship. Took a cab there (don't remember how much it was but not much) and we had more time to do what we wanted on our own. Good luck and enjoy!

I was at Cozumel at the Chankanaab park prior to the hurrican and they offered a dolphin sime (higher $$) and a dolphin encounter which was a bit cheaper. It is a nice park and wish I had done something like this. I understand you can also swim with the sea lions.

Karyn

Some of these groups capture wild dolphins (as opposed to breeding in captivity) and over 50% of the dolphins die before the first month is out.

I saw a thing on Primetime or 20/20 that showed the horribly bloody and violent way they are captured and "handled". A lot of them are killed or injured during capture, mamas are separated from their calfs and there is much screaming from the terrified dolphins. Most dolphins that survive the initial capture die within that first year. They "train" them to swim with humans through food deprivation, and when they do feed them they give them dead food instead of the live food that they would get in the wild. I had really wanted to swim with dolphins before but the footage I saw was so awful I could never do it. I love dolphins too much to contribute to the industry. Even most of the so-called humane places get their dolphins from the wild. Radisson Seven Seas has even eliminated dolphin swims from their excursion lists for these very reasons. Here's more info if you're curious: http://www.dolphinproject.org/?pageid=22275.

I didn't mean to be a downer but it doesn't do the dolphins any good to hide what really goes on behind the scenes.

Archived