Scheduled With Capt. Larry, Now What Else Can We Do???

janica

We scheduled our whale watching tour with Capt. Larry, May 18 at 11:30. Whahooo!!! So excited:D . We will be in port until 9:00pm. Does anyone have suggestions what we might do after the tour to take in the local sights and scenerey on our own (and inexpensive). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

You did not say what time you are scheduled for Capt. Larry but once you get back from that excursion, on the pier where your ship docks there is a blue MGT bus that will take you to the Mendenhall Glacier for $5.00p/p one way. You really get to see the glacier up close and they also have a visitors center that is worth a look at. Just make sure of the times of the bus so that you will plenty of time to get back to the ship.

Marilyn

It may be possible to have a drop off from Orca Enterprises to Mendenhall Glacier. Inquire now. Then just the $5 shuttle back downtown. There pick up a walking tour map, plenty of "hidden" interesting areas easy access to. Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska also have walking tour maps, perhaps head to your library for a look.

It may be possible to have a drop off from Orca Enterprises to Mendenhall Glacier. Inquire now. Then just the $5 shuttle back downtown. There pick up a walking tour map, plenty of "hidden" interesting areas easy access to. Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska also have walking tour maps, perhaps head to your library for a look.

I called Orca Enterprises before sailing and asked about being dropped off at Mendenhall. The answer was "if enough people are interested"...so had to wait until we arrived for the whale watch. As it turned out my husband and I were the only ones interested so we were not dropped off. I don't know how many people are "enough". We had to go back into town and backtrack 13 miles on the shuttle bus.

Maybe they have changed their policy for the upcoming season but this was our experience.

Archived