Taking photos during cave tubing excursion????

joanne1

We will be doing this excursion in March and have been looking for waterproof disposable cameras with a flash and I just can't find any . . . was thinking about purchasing a waterproof case for our camera but at $240 you would need to take alot of photos to justify it.

I have not seen anyone's photos from the cave tubing excursions and I was wondering if there were some that people had taken? how did they turn out? what kind of camera did you use?

Any ideas?

DH and I are also going cave tubing in early Feb. I also was looking for a water camera with a flash and cannot find them.

I have previously used one of the Kodak outdoor sport ones when we went snorkeling at Xel Ha in Mexico. There are a few caves there and none of the pictures turned out using the camera with no flash. The other pics turned out great though!

I plan on using the water camera for this excusion bc I don't want to bring our digital one.

I found this:

According to the manufacturers of the disposable underwater cameras, eliminating a powerful flash avoids the risk of electric shock in case of water leaking into the case, and avoids film damage from fumes given off from batteries sealed inside the camera case. An onboard flash can also create severe problems with "backscatter". A condition where small particles floating in the water reflect the flash making it look like your subject is obscured by falling snow. All these problems are corrected on more expensive systems through the use of sealed external flash units.

thanks to everyone for the tips . . . we are really looking forward to this excursion and would hate to not be able to get pictures.

Hapyg0luky, what ship were you on?

DEL67, they look like great cameras - because I would need them shipped to Canada I need a shipping # with a company . . . I may need to set that up but it sounds like a lot of work. I plan on continuing to look into it.

I have a small Sony U-60 "waterproof" digital camera that has a flash. It is water proof up to 5-6 ft deep. It worked real well at the swim with the stingrays in Grand Cayman and I did fairly well too with cave tubing pics in Belize. I think this camera has been discontinued but you still may find one on closeout.

I just got back a week ago and just picked up my water camera pictures. My camera did not have a flash on it either. The pictures outside the cave and underwater were great. But the pictures inside the cave did not turn out! You do need a flash inside the cave. But do not take a camera if it isn't water proof, because it will get wet.

We were on Carnival Miracle. And I agree with what everyone has said. Pretend as if you have already booked with the ship, because if you don't you may not get a tender. That's what we did. They gave us all a sticker (didn't ask for proof) that said we needed to get off first. Once we were off the tender, we secretly took off the sticker and went to find cave-tubing.com.

Good luck and have fun!:)

We just got back and brought a waterproof camara bag for our digital camara. Bought it on amazon. It was about $40. It worked pretty well. Should have adjusted some of the shutter speed on the camara or used sport mode, as we got many blurry pictures. Overall though we enjoyed having the camara with. Also used it for Snuba and waterfalls pictures. Feel free to check some out on the Roll Call NCL Sun 1/28 thread.

We used cheap underwater disposable cameras from the Wal-Mart (drugstore) for about $7.00. They did fine and they will get wet so don't even try to take a regular camera. Didn't take any pictures inside caves cuz it was pitch dark.

We will be doing this excursion in March and have been looking for waterproof disposable cameras with a flash and I just can't find any . . . was thinking about purchasing a waterproof case for our camera but at $240 you would need to take alot of photos to justify it.

Hi Joanne,

I bought a disposable re-usable camera with flash made by snap sights. They only guarantee it for one use, but give instructions for re-use. Both the film and the battery are replaceable. I have run about ten films through mine now and still no leakage!

In Edmonton, I bought it at Northwest Scuba... http://www.northwestscuba.com

As for snapsights...

http://www.snapsights.com/

I think that it was about 30 bucks back when I bought it, they may have come down in price.

Archived