scuba lessons on ship

shoolover

can anyone tell me which ships give scuba lessons while on cruise? I know it's not the best way to really learn to scuba but my 18 yo DD is certified and wants to scuba, but neither my DH or myself are and we won't let her go alone on excursions with all that has taken place with the Hollway girl in Aruba. We cruise in March and wouldn't have time now to certify before leaving (open dives and all needed). Also, if I do book an excursion and pay just to go along and not scubadive, will they let me do that being how I would be taking up a space from someone else who may want to scuba and leave someone without a partner?:eek:

can anyone tell me which ships give scuba lessons while on cruise? I know it's not the best way to really learn to scuba but my 18 yo DD is certified and wants to scuba, but neither my DH or myself are and we won't let her go alone on excursions with all that has taken place with the Hollway girl in Aruba. We cruise in March and wouldn't have time now to certify before leaving (open dives and all needed). Also, if I do book an excursion and pay just to go along and not scubadive, will they let me do that being how I would be taking up a space from someone else who may want to scuba and leave someone without a partner?:eek:

I don't think there are any ships on which you can take lessons and get certified.

They will have no problem with you taking up PAID space. sounds like that is your best bet.

I don't think there are any ships on which you can take lessons and get certified.

They will have no problem with you taking up PAID space. sounds like that is your best bet.

I think Princess dive program does have full classes available.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na599&submit=pk

But in general I wouldn't recommend spending 16 hours of you free time doing the classroom & pool work on the cruise.

here's a couple of options.

a) find a shop where you can do the class and pool at home, and do checkouts by referral on the cruise. DD could dive with you on those. Princess supports this directly or it is fairly easy to set up on your own (as long as ports don't get canx)

b) via the boards here, find a dive partner B4 you go...

p.s - might want to move this to the scuba board ...

c) by me a ticket and I'll buddy up .... hmmm spousal unit might have a problem with that. But I am a very experienced diver and life guard!

Port info would help, some dive shops also offer intro to diving dives where you could all go together without having a certification before you get there. They have you do some class work (depending on where you are) and then the dives.

I personally got certified by PG dive master. I got my pool and book section done at home, and all my open water dives in Tahiti. The dive master on PG is more knowledgable, patient and capable than the teacher I had at home.

Just from personal experience, you will get more personal attention & onhands training than any dive shop class you went with in the state. Those people on the ship dive the area every day & week. They are no "YAHOO". Diving is just their side job which they love, their main employment are with the cruiseline as the ship crew.

DOn't do it. Diving is dangerous and you need the proper classroom and dive instruction.

You'd never catch me diving with a yahoo certified from a cruise ship.

Princess info shows a full PADI course ... not a shorty or condensed ...

PADI is PADI ... your call on that one ...

The reason I don't recommend the on board course is because of the time it will require on the assumption that to be PADI it requires, what 16 hours of class/pool time?

Princess does offer certification through their New Waves program. It will take up some of your time while on board, but you probably still would not be diving with your daughter. We have several in our Roll Call that are getting certified and their last certification dives are at our last stop in Cozumel. I believe they dive as their own group rather than one of the scheduled excursions. If you want to dive with daughter, get it done at home if you have time.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

thanks for all the info....I think I'll just go along with her and twiddle my thumbs!! She's diving in Grand Cayman with the ship excursion (RCL Radisson) Has anyone done this and if so, do they dive off boat and will they let me sit on boat or stay at shore when I tag along.:confused:

Royal Caribbean offers scuba certification on their Voyager class ships just like Princess offers on their Grand class ships.

You have to do as you see fit, and I probably wouldn't let my 18 y/o DD go with the ships dive excursion, but I would let her go with http://www.neptunesdivers.com in Grand Cayman. I've used them personally, so I can tell you that your DD would be as safe with Casey and Keith as she would be if she stayed on the ship. They will also let you go along with them if you want to snorkel.

In Cozumel, another very safe island, I'd advise you to let her go diving with either my good friend Christi at http://www.bluextseadiving.com Once again, I've dived with her operation several times. I even had her do my DD's Discover Scuba dive in December. I'd trust Christi completely. Also, if there is space available, I'm sure you could ride along too.

Two others I would definitely consider using would be http://www.scubawithalison.com and http://www.liquidbluediving.com Alison is a friend of Christi's, so that would be good enough for me, but probably not for you. I have only read very positive reviews about her operation. The folks at Liquid Blue are also friends of Christi, and I've gone diving with them. Michaela runs the office and gives great customer service, and her husband, Roberto is an exceptionally good divemaster.

If you want to actually do a dive/snorkel trip with the whole family, Blue Angle offers a combo trip with a late morning departure designed for cruisers.

My point is, you don't have to get yourself certified to let your DD do what she would enjoy the most, spending time underwater.

Hi,

If you're planning on diving with RCCL off the ship, then they say that if you haven't logged a dive in the past 2 yrs that you have to have a refresher course onboard (was USD$29 on our EOS cruise). Secret, make sure you take your log book with you to show them if you're questioned.

WRT dive knives, I found that the cruise lines really don't do a thorough search of your luggage for what they call "contraband". My dive knife was in my suitcase with mask and snorkel and I walked off the ship with it and showed it to them from the pier in Cozumel.

After diving, and returning to the ship,they told me I had to relinquish m knife after they x-rayed it in my bag. I asked why, since it was the 5th day of a seven dyaycruise, they had allowed it onboard and I'd had it in my possession since my luggage was delivered to our cabin back in Miami. They made blah blah blah excuses and so I signed over my knife to Security.

No big deal, BUT a total pain in the butt on disembarking in Miami. They make you walk to security all the way down to the north end of the RCCL piers yet at the same time dragging all your luggage, because God help you if you left it there. Bottom line... leave your dive knife at home.

Ciao for now!!!

L

I have always booked all the excursions we take with the cruiseline. Is there a reason why we shouldn't other than price may be less outside the ship prices? Is there something not up to par with there excursions and better with outsiders?:cool:

The best reason for NOT booking with the ship, in addition to a better price, to me is always that the ship's dives tend to be cattle boats - huge groups, not a lot of personal attention, and the operators are sometimes very good, sometimes not. I've had excellent experiences with the shore excursion dives and a few that were less than fully satisfactory. You can generally get smaller boats and groups, with more personal attention, with independent operators. Just make sure that you fully investigate them in advance to be sure they're reputable.

The best reason FOR booking with the ship is if you're on a tight port schedule. If you're on a ship excursion, even if you get delayed and get back after the appointed onboard time, the ship waits for you, which if you're with a private operator, it won't do. I've been lucky in that the private ops have always had me back to the ship in time, though I've cut it close! :o But in ports where I know there's barely time to get in the two-tank dive, I'll go with the ship's excursion every time.

I'll be in Cozumel again on Enchantment of the Seas this March, and because the operator I dived with last visit is sadly no longer in business, I've decided to use Bruce's recommendations and go with one of those he's mentioned. After checking all the websites and other diver recommendations, it looks as if they're all great ops. Thanks, Bruce!!

I have always booked all the excursions we take with the cruiseline. Is there a reason why we shouldn't other than price may be less outside the ship prices? Is there something not up to par with there excursions and better with outsiders?:cool:
The ship's dive excursions don't offer the kind of diving that I prefer. My skill level is probably more advanced than the typical cruise ship diver. The typical cruise dive trip in on a large boat with a fairly large group of people doing follow the leader style dives of limited bottom time. I just don't like that kind of diving. I don't want to have to follow the leader. If I want to stop and take my time shooting a photo, I don't appreciate a DM banging on his tank for me to keep up with the group. I also don't want my bottom time limited by the first people to use up their air or some dive operators predetermined schedule. I can typically get 60 minutes of bottom time on a "normal" dive, so I don't like being told to be back on the boat in 45 minutes. Finally, I prefer smaller groups.

There isn't anything really wrong with the ship's excursion other than it costs more. The rest is just personal preference. A beginning diver such as your DD should be fine.

Here is a more detailed essay on Cruise ships dive excursions.

Shoolover-

If you can't get certified at home before you go on this trip, make it a priority as soon as you come back. Watch out though - diving is highly addictive!

I heartily second Bruce's reccomendation for Neptune's divers on Grand Cayman, and BlueXTSea on Cozumel, and I will post links to my reviews.

If you are visiting Belize, another great operation is SeaSports Belize.

We revisited both SeaSports and BlueXTC in the fall, and they were even better, if that was possible.

Have a wonderful trip!

Wendy

Review of Neptune's Divers

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=179206

Review of BlueXTSea Diving

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=179210

Review of SeaSports Belize

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=179208

diving pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

thanks Bruce, you have answered all my concerns and have helped me make up my mind for my DD. Being she just got certified last year and has only done her open water dives for certifying and two dives in Australia in July with P2P program, I think I would feel better if she goes with the ship, although I will discuss it with her and consider her feelings on this! You've been a great help (all of you have) and I appreciate your time and knowledge. For those of you cruising soon, hope you all have great weather and smooth sailing!! :D

CWC (Cindy)--Did you ever report back about your experience with Paul Atallah of Island Eco Tours on Huahine? I searched for your post that discussed arranging the tour, but couldn't find any review after the fact. We leave in less than two weeks for the PG. Thanks. Could you drop me a line at dreps@comcast.net.

-------------

Eugene

Archived