Anyone ever use a waterproof cast sock for snorkeling?

elephant98

I am scheduled to cruise the Eastern Caribbean in 3 weeks. However, I unfortunately broke my foot last Monday. While I am healing nicely, chances are I will still be in a walking cast (half leg) by the time of my cruise. I am hoping to do some snorkeling on my cruise, which of course is impossible because I can't get my cast wet.

I was surfing the internet and found something at an online orthopedic supply store called the "Xerosox," which is advertised as a waterproof cast sock. It is made out of surgical latex and works by slipping it over your cast and removing the air from within using a hand pump. The makers claim it can be used for showering, swimming in a pool or the ocean, snorkeling, etc., and there are a few testimonials at the website praising the product. I will, of course, inquire with my doctor about the product as well as whether or not my foot will be up to the activity by the time of the cruise. (I don't expect to be snorkeling in rough waters). I am leery of online "testimonials" that are posted by the very company that is selling the product. So, I am wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this product or something similar.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a waterproof sock for my leg when I broke my ankle. They (Bone store) told me that I could use it in the shower and for swimming. The shower part was fine, but when I went swimming, it allowed lots of water in. This is not a good thing, I had to go back to the doctor and have a new cast put on, and your leg will get VERY cold with a wet cast. For me, it was not a complete waste, as the shower part was very good.

Sweetreba

• 2 weeks later...

We have not used one but a young girl on one of our trips had one on and it was always with water in it and her dad taking it off to drain it. Just didnt work so well in the pool so I wouldnt think a dive with it would work also. Her dad said he spent lots on this and was let down by how it DIDNT work.

Archived