group bus to Charleston

MooNGaTe27

Hi we are going on the Sunshine in Nov 2019 & there are 54 of us coming on a bus to the port of Charleston. I here there is a new drop off .We have a few people who cant walk that far & I was hoping to be dropped off at terminal where you get on the ship . Can anyone tell me the steps we have to now take to get on the ship .Like do we get dropped off & then have to get on a shuttle or what 

Thanks 

Following this as well.  We sail next month with my 84 year old grandparents who can walk, but not long distances.  Hoping we can arrange to have them dropped at the terminal and the rest of us proceed through the normal check-in booths.

I boarded in Charleston on June 20th. The terminal by the ship is now only for the Security check. I didn't see any check-in areas there.

At the new check-in building - you show your passport/photo ID for the one and only time. When waiting to board the shuttle to Security; I remember them saying they had specially equipped vans for people with special needs. We parked in the handicapped parking and had a short walk. It seems the drop-off area was right next to it with a similar walk. I can't say for sure, but I don't think the walk from the drop off area to check-in is more than the length of the ship itself; probably less.

I posted a thread yesterday, but don't know "how" you get to the new drop-off zone. I'm sure the bus driver will have that info by then.  gigem_aggies - do either of your grandparents or anyone you are travelling with have a handicapped placard? If so, parking is free and is much closer than regular parking. Unfortunately for regular parking; the earlier you get there; the longer the walk to check-in.

I hope this helps; but also hope someone that has boarded either via drop-off or with special needs will also post with confirmation or better info.

8 hours ago, MooNGaTe27 said:

Hi we are going on the Sunshine in Nov 2019 & there are 54 of us coming on a bus to the port of Charleston. I here there is a new drop off .We have a few people who cant walk that far & I was hoping to be dropped off at terminal where you get on the ship . Can anyone tell me the steps we have to now take to get on the ship .Like do we get dropped off & then have to get on a shuttle or what 

Thanks 

8 hours ago, gigem_aggies said:

Following this as well.  We sail next month with my 84 year old grandparents who can walk, but not long distances.  Hoping we can arrange to have them dropped at the terminal and the rest of us proceed through the normal check-in booths.

I'm going in aug with my mother, she can only walk a short distance, no stairs. Some experts here help explain what need to be done. You will need to contact special need department, they will help with on and off the ship. Some staff standing outside the terminal will direct you to the line. (I did ask for wheelchair to get my mother on and off) if you link other booking together, they allow you to get on together. I'm not sure about big group with 54 people. I'm not staying in the same room with her, but our booking link. The gentleman I spoke with told me that. 

I was hoping the bus would be able to drop us off at a check in terminal like Ft. Lauderdale or Miami .It sound as if you get dropped off at security ,show your passport then get on a shuttle to the ship or is there some king of waiting area before you get on the ship ??

Don't know why bus cant drop us off closer 

6 hours ago, MooNGaTe27 said:

I was hoping the bus would be able to drop us off at a check in terminal like Ft. Lauderdale or Miami .It sound as if you get dropped off at security ,show your passport then get on a shuttle to the ship or is there some king of waiting area before you get on the ship ??

Don't know why bus cant drop us off closer 

I guess one good thing about boarding in Charleston is they don't open the check-in area until they are ready to board. Part of this is because - yes - there is no room for a waiting area. But.....once you start the process; except for waiting on the bus, you just keep going until you are on the ship.  

Charleston used to be set up like Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Port Canaveral - Security first, then you check in. The Sunshine has too many more passsengers to efficiently get them on the way it was. IE. I live near the port. I left my home at the same time I did the last time I went on the Ecstasy and got on the Sunshine the same time I did on the Ecstasy. So, now, there is an extra building that is more efficient because they were processing more people in the same amount of time.  Check-in where you show your passport/photo ID is the first stop in the new building. This terminal and the terminal by the ship for Security are not large; so not a lot of walking there. I hate that you have a little walk outside to get to the check-in terminal; and you won't know for sure until you are on the ship: but - it may be possible that the total walking may not be much more than the larger terminals you listed. You just have that pesky shuttle bus you have to take as part of the process.

Someday....someday......they will get a new terminal built that will be like the other ports. I am more than ready for that day as well.   🙂      But, it doesn't stop me from sailing from Charleston when I live 40 minutes from the port.