Juneau -- Jayleen's Alaska whale watching

ute_fan

Went whale watching with Jayleen last week and can't say enough good things about her.  Our first whale watching trip was with her Dad (Jay) who was one of the original founders of Harv & Marv's.  We'd been out with them two more times, but they didn't have availability at the time we needed, so we went with Jayleen.  My husband and I ended up being her only passengers and had a private whale watching tour!  

She did an excellent job of finding whales for us, and maneuvering her boat so we had the best vantage point possible.  We were able to see multiple whales, and since it was only us and she knew that was what our focus was, she let us whale watch the entire time.  She's very knowledgeable about the whales in the area as she grew up watching them from her home on Shelter Island and was able to identify several of the whales we were looking at.

If you're looking for a whale watching tour in Juneau on one of the small 6 passenger boats, give her a call.    

• Like 1

Going next week and already booked with her. We did one with Harv and Marv in 2015 and the whales were in a coma that day. I can't remember who took us out, but it was so bad, they offered money off the next time we came. Hopefully we will have better luck this time. 

We went out with Jayleen on June 15th, and I second the recommendation! It was fabulous! Such a personal experience, and Jayleen is a delightful young woman with all kinds of mad skills and knowledge of those waters. We were lucky enough to find a mother with her 6 month old calf who was feeling playful. That baby breached repeatedly for at least 45 minutes....it was unforgettable!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ErLee said:

We went out with Jayleen on June 15th, and I second the recommendation! It was fabulous! Such a personal experience, and Jayleen is a delightful young woman with all kinds of mad skills and knowledge of those waters. We were lucky enough to find a mother with her 6 month old calf who was feeling playful. That baby breached repeatedly for at least 45 minutes....it was unforgettable!

I'm jealous!  We had a Mom and calf (Flame and Bunsen ??), but they weren't breaching.  Isn't it wonderful when they do?

4 hours ago, ute_fan said:

I'm jealous!  We had a Mom and calf (Flame and Bunsen ??), but they weren't breaching.  Isn't it wonderful when they do?

Yes it was the same pair we watched, and that baby was feeling playful!

Jayleen has a new boat captained by Amber and we went with her on June 23. It's like what watching from a sports car. Amber was able to turn the small boat quickly and go off in the direction she thought the whales would surface. She was usually right. She is a marine biologist and knows her wildlife. We also saw Flame and Bunsen numerous times. In all, we saw about 10-12 whales that morning. On the way back to the ship Amber dropped us off at the Mendenhall Glacier by our request, saving us a taxi out there. This was the best excursion between the 3 ports we stopped at.

• Like 3