What is most economical booking for family of 3?

Lomita

Just wondering: my husband, 13-year-old daughter and I are contemplating a cruise. Reading cruise literature, it seems that most rooms in the less-expensive categories are set up for two people, max. What is the most economical thing to do when you're traveling with a younger family member? Book two adjacent rooms and sleep 2 in one room, 1 in the other? Book a more expensive category that can sleep 3? Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Karin from Lomita, CA

Well, that doesn't sound correct at all. While the majority are set up for two people, probably about 30% to 50% are set up for 3 or 4 passengers, and there are a number of ships that can sleep 5 to a standard room.

I'm talking about standard rooms (inside, outside view, and balcany) on Carnival. I'd be very surprized if this isn't true of the other crusie lines as well. Family cruising is big money today.

Not only will your daughter be able to sleep in your room, but her cruise price will be anywhere form $50 to $300 less than your cruise price... not be cause she is a child, but because she is a 3rd passenger in your room.

RCL has the most to do for a child, followed by Carnival.

I would go to their web sites and check out the itineraries and prices. Just select booking a cruise and check out the pricing.

Another hint... it is best to arrive the day before your cruise and stay in a hotel. It is usually cheaper to book your own flights. Check both ways. Sometimes this is not true, but usually is.

Good luck.

Just wondering: my husband, 13-year-old daughter and I are contemplating a cruise. Reading cruise literature, it seems that most rooms in the less-expensive categories are set up for two people, max. What is the most economical thing to do when you're traveling with a younger family member? Book two adjacent rooms and sleep 2 in one room, 1 in the other? Book a more expensive category that can sleep 3? Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Karin from Lomita, CA

When you say reading the cruise literature what do you mean if you mean the brochure then completely disregard that. Brochure prices bear little resembalance to reality.

There are lots of cabins in inside which is the cheapest, that accomodate three or even four people. go to some of the online websites and see. This true of every cruiseline.

Well, that doesn't sound correct at all. While the majority are set up for two people, probably about 30% to 50% are set up for 3 or 4 passengers, and there are a number of ships that can sleep 5 to a standard room.

I'm talking about standard rooms (inside, outside view, and balcany) on Carnival. I'd be very surprized if this isn't true of the other crusie lines as well. Family cruising is big money today.

Not only will your daughter be able to sleep in your room, but her cruise price will be anywhere form $50 to $300 less than your cruise price... not be cause she is a child, but because she is a 3rd passenger in your room.

RCL has the most to do for a child, followed by Carnival.

I would go to their web sites and check out the itineraries and prices. Just select booking a cruise and check out the pricing.

Another hint... it is best to arrive the day before your cruise and stay in a hotel. It is usually cheaper to book your own flights. Check both ways. Sometimes this is not true, but usually is.

Good luck.

Thank you for your input.

We're going to the LA Times Travel Show this weekend, where a number of the cruise lines have exhibitor booths, and I'm going to talk to them about the logistics and so forth, so I expect I'll learn a lot of things that just can't be gleaned from the booklets and brochures we've been reading.

As far as arriving the day before the cruise departure, we live within a half-hour drive of the ports of Long Beach, San Pedro and LA, and we fully expect that our first cruise will be a departure from one of those ports. Which makes the issue of arriving in the port city ahead of time thankfully moot.

Thank you for your input.

We're going to the LA Times Travel Show this weekend, where a number of the cruise lines have exhibitor booths, and I'm going to talk to them about the logistics and so forth, so I expect I'll learn a lot of things that just can't be gleaned from the booklets and brochures we've been reading.

As far as arriving the day before the cruise departure, we live within a half-hour drive of the ports of Long Beach, San Pedro and LA, and we fully expect that our first cruise will be a departure from one of those ports. Which makes the issue of arriving in the port city ahead of time thankfully moot.

A year and a half ago I read all the brochures and thought: My family will NEVER be able to cruise! It's ridiculously expensive! Well, I found this board and realized that NOBODY pays the brochure price. :D Even my family of 5 can afford to cruise!!! And we did last november and we will again this november!!!

BTW, your family of 3 has tons of options in cabins - inside, oceanview, balconey and suites can all accomadate you! Plus your daughter's fare would be at the 3rd/4th person rate which can be considerably cheaper than what you and your hubbie would pay.

You found these boards, keep reading and you'll be cruising in no time!

~Connie

A year and a half ago I read all the brochures and thought: My family will NEVER be able to cruise! It's ridiculously expensive! Well, I found this board and realized that NOBODY pays the brochure price. :D Even my family of 5 can afford to cruise!!! And we did last november and we will again this november!!!

BTW, your family of 3 has tons of options in cabins - inside, oceanview, balconey and suites can all accomadate you! Plus your daughter's fare would be at the 3rd/4th person rate which can be considerably cheaper than what you and your hubbie would pay.

You found these boards, keep reading and you'll be cruising in no time!

~Connie

Thank you for the input. I'm toying with the idea of seeing how much of a discount we could get on a last-minute booking. Since Ports of Long Beach and San Pedro and LA are just a short drive down the freeway from us, departure on short notice would be a snap. I know several of the cruise lines offer 3- and 4-night cruises with departure from our ports, and I was thinking that might be a good first-time gig. After this weekend's travel show, I'm hoping we'll have a much better idea of what will work for us.

Archived