Ranking cruiselines

lomillerin

I know everybody has a favorite, but I am trying to pick a cruise and cruiseline. I know there are some very fancy and adults only cruises, which I am not looking for.

What cruiseline is considered by most to be the best, what order, and why?

RCCL

Disney

Carnival

Norwegian

Princess

Celebrity

HAL

Any others?

I am not sure it's that simple. Yes, all lines have kind of a vein they work in but even straight across the board you're going to find great differences in ships within each line plus itineraries and length of cruise also add to the mix.

Maybe if you told us what you are looking for we could suggest what the best match for you would be??

Of what you've listed, my experience has been that more average people have a very good experience with RCCL, Celebrity and Princess.

Please don't flame me, but I have had less people happy with NCL and Carnival unless they were very young or very inexperienced.

Disney is in a league all it's own. I know people that love it and people that chose it for their first cruise and hated it so much they won't try cruising again.

Most HAL people are happier if they're of a certain age.

The vast majority of unhappy people were people that didn't best match the cruise with their interests, personality, budget and requirements.

As far as the best cruise line, I'd wouldn't consider any of what you've listed to be a 'best' cruise line, but what you have are mainstream lines that meet the needs of the vast majority.

In the better or luxury line of cruising you'd be looking at the likes of Radisson, Crystal, Silverseas, Seabourne, etc. They offer extreme differences in quality compared to the mass market lines. There is a difference and yes, you pay for it!

So, would most people say Norwegian was in the same league as RCCL or Carnival?

We are looking for a clean newer ship, with a good kids program for a 14 and 7 year old.

I am picky about cleanliness and things looking old.

I also enjoy really good food. We have done a RCCL and loved it.

We are thinking of doing a Norwegian Hawaii cruise on its new ship the Pride of Hawaii or doing a cruise on the new Freedom of the Seas.

We know we like RCCL and would love the freedom, but really think we would like to go to Hawaii, but not sure about Norwegian.

Is Norwegian a budget cruise line? I don't want snooty, but on a cruise would enjoy a little class and having a sense of something special.

From my personal experience, I just don't care for NCL. The food just isn't up to par with other cruise lines and the service, especially on the Hawaii based ships, seems to be very spotty at best. My TA, who runs a very large travel agency in Arizona, won't book NCL unless his clients are adamant about it. You will find some that really love NCL, but those seem to be people who've only cruised NCL and don't realize what other lines have to offer.

Have you looked at Celebrity's Hawaii cruises? Celebrity is a step above RCCI, so if you loved them, you really would love Celebrity.

"Is Norwegian a budget cruise line? I don't want snooty, but on a cruise would enjoy a little class and having a sense of something special."

Than I suggest you cross NCL off the list!! I myself never suggest this line to anyone.

I would look at the quality of the ships within the lines.

I think I have an idea of what you're looking for.

Tell me what you like to do on the ships?

I myself am sailing freedom this spring and radiance hawaii in the fall. The two ships were chosen for two very different reasons! But I basically chose Radiance because it was RT out of CA and I wanted to spend a precruise weekend in San Fran. Guess what, we got moved to rt out of Las Angelas!

Oh well, I got great rate and cabins so I am very happy. :)

If it was just you two I'd say Celebrity. With such young children I'd still go RCCL. Their kids program is outstanding.

The original question is an impossible one to answer. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, different expectations, different needs. Some people focus on the food; some on service; some on the entertainment; some on price; some on the itinerary. It all depends on what you're looking for.

I've been on 13 cruises - 4 on Princess, 5 on NCL, 1 RCI, 3 miscellaneous. I enjoyed them all. Each line (and each ship, for that matter) offers a slightly different experience, but overall they probably share more common traits than they don't. I know that some people won't agree with that statement, but that's how I feel.

I also completely disagree with the proposition that anybody who likes NCL doesn't know any better or is inexperienced. There are plenty of people who like NCL and plenty of people who don't. The only way you'll know is by trying it yourself. I happen to love NCL's Freestyle policies - no fixed seating times, no assigned tables or tablemates, and only optional formal nights. Other cruisers do not like these policies, which is fine, but I do.

Archived