Activities for teenagers

andyrmanc

Hi All,

Just re subscribed to this forum after a few years away.

We are off on our next cruise next March on Britannia's re positioning cruise from the Caribbean B007.

Our daughter has used the kids club on our previous 3 cruises but this will be her first time in the older kids club H20. she will be 15 years old at time of sailing and she is wondering what if any activities are organised for the older kids? She loved her time in the younger clubs so hopefully she can make some friendships in the new club (I appreciate teenagers are a whole different kettle of fish so to speak).

My daughters loved the club H2O.

They had lots of activities such as pool parties, movie nights and teenage only dinners on formal nights etc. There was a weekly activity program waiting for them in the cabin. The teenagers also gathered at the Havana for the late night disco.

However the main advantage was that they got to meet their peers and make friends. Soon it almost felt like we had to make arrangements to see them!

Our two had a great time and enjoyed the little more freedom we allowed them onboard. We felt they were safe and well looked after on board. No alcohol was strictly enforced and the youth security team followed and policed their behavior wherever they went which was fantastic.

My only advice would be to make sure your daughter visits the club and registers the day you board. The welcome meeting is usually about 5pm and details are in your cabin. This is the time when the teenage friendships are made and if you come to the group later it is much tougher.

Juliax

Can only endorse what Berlingo has said. Both my children, son and daughter, used the kids' club as teens and loved it. Both are still in touch with friends they made. They are both now too old for the club and wish they weren't. The friendship groups that form tend to use the club as a meeting up point, then they go off and do their own thing during the day when at sea. Organised activities also included treasure hunts, talent competitions, white disco, etc. They do an ice-breaker session on the first evening. As Berlingo says, register as soon as you get on board and don't miss the first get-together. I am sure your daughter will have a wonderful time.

Edited by groovechick
addition

H2O is a bit different from the Reef children's club.  Teenagers are not required to sign in/out.  Signing in/out only applies to the Reef and the signing is done by the parents not the children. There is a member of staff making sure that only the teenagers enter the H2O when it is running.  

Attending to register at earliest opportunity is a good idea as is attending the first session.  There are often sole teenagers sailing who can befriend like minded peers but once small groups have formed they tend to be more insular.  The teenagers tend to use the H2O as a meeting place as well as somewhere to do activities, so if a group decides to have a few drinks e.g. mocktails, then move on to a show, they arrange to meet at 7.30 or whatever at the club. Meeting at the club is fairly standard. They are positively discouraged from meeting at or going into other passenger's cabins.

Only downside I foresee is that on quieter cruises they can amalgamate age groups into 2 to 8 yrs and 9 to 17 years.  Age is determined to be age on the first day of the cruise and you stay in the original club throughout, the only exception being is where someone becomes 18 during the cruise they can no longer attend H2O.

Regards John

Thanks John,

B007 is a trans Atlantic Easter holidays cruise so there should be plenty of each age group on board so no amalgamation. I think Ella will love the new freedom she will have while on board and the chance to do things with people of her own age group. We will probably be taking the all inclusive drinks package so she will have a soft drinks card to get her drinks as and when she wants one which again she will find liberating.

Cheers

Andy