Select dining on Summit

There are definitely challenges during the first night of dining....

Then things get sorted out, for the most part.

That 'norm' always happens when there are an over abundance of passengers who want to eat between 6.30p - 7.15p, after all the Select MDR only has X number of seats and as such some wait time may need to be expected.

Yes, you are correct, it does defeat the purpose when many want to eat at the same time, otherwise when reservations are made in advance, frequently they are honoured within a reasonable time frame as the staff cannot always move the lingers or those who just sat, out...

bon appetite and bon voyage

The only time I've ever found there to be a wait of longer than 5 minutes, on any Celebrity ship we've been on, is on chic nights.  Everyone seems to want to eat at the same time.  We've learned to get there closer to 6:30 than 7:00 on those nights.   

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

There are definitely challenges during the first night of dining....

Then things get sorted out, for the most part.

That 'norm' always happens when there are an over abundance of passengers who want to eat between 6.30p - 7.15p, after all the Select MDR only has X number of seats and as such some wait time may need to be expected.

Yes, you are correct, it does defeat the purpose when many want to eat at the same time, otherwise when reservations are made in advance, frequently they are honoured within a reasonable time frame as the staff cannot always move the lingers or those who just sat, out...

The first night won’t be an issue because we have reservations at Qsine. 

The nights I have made reservations for select dining are at 6:30, looks like right during the rush. 

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, AmberCascades said:

The only time I've ever found there to be a wait of longer than 5 minutes, on any Celebrity ship we've been on, is on chic nights.  Everyone seems to want to eat at the same time.  We've learned to get there closer to 6:30 than 7:00 on those nights.   

That’s good!  I already asked, and has been answered, but I forget when chic nights are. 

We have been on Summit 3 times, all with select dining.   We made our reservations early,  for between 6 and 7. We have never waited more than 5 minutes.  And that is just waiting for our turn with the hostess. 

One of the sailings we had 15 of us at 3 tables with 6 pm reservations.  So that was a little different.   They just arranged that we had the same 3 tables nightly.  That was easier for them than trying to figure it out each night.  There was another large family at a near by table nightly as well.  I think 12.  

I can't speak to not having reservations.

28 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

So if you have select (anytime) dining, you need to make reservations?  You can't just go when you feel like it, which seems to me to be the point of having a fexible dining time.

c - Yes you can do a walk up for sure, not an issue.

Another, albeit possibly minor for some, point for Select Dining is the ability to start dining at any  time between the fixed 'Traditional' early and late dining times.

e.g. if one prefers to eat at 6.15p each night, then they have the opportunity to make a reservation for this time each night. Which can be changed or cancelled at any time aboard.

Edited by Bo1953
Clarification
  • Thanks 1