Cruising out of San Juan????

MikeNKim

We are looking to cruise out of San Juan sometime in 2007. Just to get access to some different ports.

What is it like cruising out of San Juan??? Is just flying in the day before OK??? Would you be able to fly out that afternoon????

Is the airport near the port????

Any info would be great....thanks

Kim

When doing the Caribbean, I always go out of San Juan. It gives me more time on the islands and less at sea.

Flying in a day early is recommended but I like to go in at least two to enjoy PR.

The airport is a $14 (Flat rate) cab ride from the Pan Am pier where the RCI ships sail from. It is $19 to the piers in Old San Juan. Flying out the same afternoon as you disembark can be done alright but if it is a Saturday or Sunday, that airport can be a mad house unless you grab a cab and get there prior to the cruise line transfers.

We have always had our flights the day of sailing when leaving San Juan and have had no troubles, because the ship leaves in the evening. Some fly the day before, we choose not to. And yes, the airport is near the pier.

We have always had our flights the day of sailing when leaving San Juan and have had no troubles, because the ship leaves in the evening. Some fly the day before, we choose not to. And yes, the airport is near the pier.

I'll be flying out early tomorrow morning for San Juan for a Monday cruise. The reason I go early is because of what happened to a family that went down yesterday for a Sunday cruise.

They were suppose to fly out early but delays and cancellations caused them not to get there until 11:30 last night. Had the ship been sailing yesterday, they would have missed it.

The one time I flew in the same day, we almost missed it due to maintenance delays. I caught it by checking on line at four in the morning and was able to change the flights for 19 people. Had I not checked, we all would have missed it.

Doesn't happen too often, but I don't like the worry.

Oh, and tomorrow, TStorms are predicted for both my departure airport and my connecter airport so I may see some delays.

Flying in the day before is fine. The hard part is many hotels initially tell you they have a 2 night minimum.

You can fly out the day you return to port. Remember through 5-6 ships depart / arrive on Sundays. The AP can get very crowded & they don't have alot of metal detectors which makes TSA a nightmare.

The AP is about 20-25 minutes from the Pan Am Pier. It's a little farther to the pier in OSU.

Flying in the day before is fine. The hard part is many hotels initially tell you they have a 2 night minimum.

You can fly out the day you return to port. Remember through 5-6 ships depart / arrive on Sundays. The AP can get very crowded & they don't have alot of metal detectors which makes TSA a nightmare.

The AP is about 20-25 minutes from the Pan Am Pier. It's a little farther to the pier in OSU.

Hi...A good way to see if the airport is going to be busy on certain days, is to go to http://www.cruisecal.com Click on ports, San Juan...Helen

Archived