Disabled First Time Cruiser needs Advice!!!

tekusa

My Mother and Father in-law will be taking their first cruise in September. They have booked a cruise/tour with Princess (T609S) starting in Fairbanks. My wife and I have been on a number of cruises and have seen many people using scooters to navigate the ships. My father-in-law thinks that renting or bringing a scooter with them will be too much of a hassle. Please help me with this!! My mother-in-law can not use a manual wheel chair alone, she will require assistance to get anywhere. My father-in-law has a heart condition and no idea how much territory there is to cover on a ship, not to mention pushing a chair on carpet. Will taking or renting a scooter be worth the effort??? I need some feedback from some of you to help me convince my F-I-L that a scooter might be a good option.:rolleyes:

Didn't you post this question already? or was it on another cruise board because I know I gave you answers and even steered you to an excellent site for scooters. I mentioned that if you are starting in one port and ending in another that rental would be difficult to impossible but there are excellent light weight and even foldable scooters.

Try looking at scootermobility.com at the Cady model.

You are right she does need one in this situation.

Ask your FIL this question: Are you willing to push a wheelchair the length of two football fields, with narrow aisles in some places, and with lots of other people crowding the areas? Depending on what ship, he could very well be walking the length of two football fields when he has to get from one end of the ship to the other.

I guess another way to phrase it would be to ask him if he pushes your m-i-l through the airport. If so multiply that by 100. As for renting a scooter, be sure and tell him they deliver, so the biggest hassle is reading off his credit card number to the company. Buying a travel scooter is an option too, but it will probably take more than one phone call (if he is truly looking for the loswest hassle alternative).

Candy

Didn't you post this question already? or was it on another cruise board because I know I gave you answers and even steered you to an excellent site for scooters. I mentioned that if you are starting in one port and ending in another that rental would be difficult to impossible but there are excellent light weight and even foldable scooters.

Try looking at scootermobility.com at the Cady model.

You are right she does need one in this situation.

There is no problem renting a scooter in one location in Alaska and returning it in another. Carevacations is set up to do that. I rented in Anchorage and returned in Vancouver with no problems--The scooter was in my cabin when I arrived.

Now I have my own scooter and don't have to go to the expense of renting---Yay!

Archived