Choir of Man Question- ESCAPE

nicsmama649

We are sailing on the Escape for our 3rd cruise in January. My 10 yr old son loves to go to "the show" when we are on board. He loves music and was in awe of Million Dollar Quartet on the Getaway. I am not that into Jazz so I don't know that I am too interested in going to After Midnight but I have heard that Choir of Man is really good. I was wondering if this is a show that I can take my son too. I am pretty laid back and don't mind some swearing and drinking, but I don't know much about this show and I don't want to take him to something that is really inappropriate and adult themed.  Also does anyone have any opinions on the Escape the Big Top show? 

I think your son would like the Choir of Man.  We saw several younger people enjoying the show.  Also, we liked Escape the Big Top.  You just need to be ok with being put with others.  They set you up with teams of normally 10. 

There's drinking in Choir of Man.  Matter of fact, if you get there early enough, the cast will invite some up to the stage to have a beer.  

I don't have an issue with any of the drinking (matter of fact, I take a drink into the show).  If there were any swearing, I don't recall it.  So, it must not have been prevalent.

There is one scene with men relieving themselves while singing.  Pretty funny scene, quite frankly.  If that offends you, then you probably want to skip the show.

Overall, nothing offensive in the show I could point to.  I'm not offended easily, though.

As far as the music is concerned.  It's not jazz.  There are some songs you might recognize in it.  There are also some "drinking songs" in the production, too.

It's doubtful that your 10 year old will recognize the songs, though.  

I found it to be one of the best shows I've seen, on land or at sea, which is par for the course for NCL.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input. I think he will love the show. I just didn't want to take him blind into something and then find out the hard way it was really inappropriate. Like I said we are not prudish in any way but there are somethings I do have to draw the line at lol 

Unless one is a fan of obscure Duke Ellington songs, After Midnight will probably not be something you enjoy.  Choir of Men on the other hand was really, really good.  The songs are current, and the cast is incredibly talented.  Escape the Big Top is not actually a show.  It is an escape puzzle room, and if I remember correctly has a minimum age of 12 I think.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sailing in November and have a few Q's.

Are these nightly shows? Are the theater seats limited? I see that they need to be booked onboard. Are there other nightly shows that you can just go to without a reservation? The website does not offer up much information about entertainment. Thanks!

On 7/18/2019 at 3:14 PM, gizfish said:

Unless one is a fan of obscure Duke Ellington songs, After Midnight will probably not be something you enjoy.  Choir of Men on the other hand was really, really good.  The songs are current, and the cast is incredibly talented.  Escape the Big Top is not actually a show.  It is an escape puzzle room, and if I remember correctly has a minimum age of 12 I think.  

went to the Escape room 2 yrs ago on BA. Had out own table of 8 including grandkids 11/9. We won !! Why wouldn't we ? teacher, 2 engineers, & a magician.   lol great fun

On 7/18/2019 at 10:09 AM, nicsmama649 said:

We are sailing on the Escape for our 3rd cruise in January. My 10 yr old son loves to go to "the show" when we are on board. He loves music and was in awe of Million Dollar Quartet on the Getaway. I am not that into Jazz so I don't know that I am too interested in going to After Midnight but I have heard that Choir of Man is really good. I was wondering if this is a show that I can take my son too. I am pretty laid back and don't mind some swearing and drinking, but I don't know much about this show and I don't want to take him to something that is really inappropriate and adult themed.  Also does anyone have any opinions on the Escape the Big Top show? 

There is nothing inappropriate.

Best show I've seen at sea. We were on Escape last July and saw it in the supper club, when it was still a fee based show.

The dinner was mediocre but everything else was just fantastic.

Great energy and talent from everyone on stage and the music is just terrific.

It's now a free show in the theater so it may lose a little ambiance but I'm sure it's still great and is for people of all ages.

I'm looking forward to it in January too when we sail Encore.

Have fun!