Oh Joy!

I am not a novice cruiser, nor a veteran ~ but I do have a few cruises under my belt!  I have always been a Carnival loyalist, but I have "temporarily" jumped ship and booked a 5 day cruise to Cabo & Ensenada on the Norwegian "Joy." in January 2020.  I've watched nearly every YouTube video about the Joy, and it appears to be a very impressive ship!  I have a couple of questions being brand new to Norwegian.  I booked this cruise because of a special "promo".  I chose a "Sail away" balcony, in which my stateroom is chosen for me, whereas I've always made my own choice.  They tell me I will get the balcony that I asked for, but will they put me in a less desirable location?  I made my decision to go this route and be at their mercy because of the prices.  Secondly,  I understand there are 20 different dining venues, and only six that are complimentary included in the cruise fare.  Are the other specialty restaurants really expensive?  And with the complimentary selections, is the food generally good?  Lastly, are the beds comfortable!??  I love my creature comforts ~ I have found Carnival's beds and pillows are very comfy for me.  I'm rather picky that way!  😏

20 minutes ago, Ima Desert Diva said:

They tell me I will get the balcony that I asked for, but will they put me in a less desirable location? 

It's a possibility that it might be in a less than desirable location to you. All they will tell you is that you will get a balcony cabin. That is the risk you take. My last cruise, I did the sailaway cabin and got a cabin in a really good location so it's going to depend.

22 minutes ago, Ima Desert Diva said:

Are the other specialty restaurants really expensive?  And with the complimentary selections, is the food generally good?  

"really expensive"? I would say no. I think that it's a bit more expensive than what I am used to but not outrageously so. The "goodness" of the food is highly subjective. I won't tell you if it's good or bad but I will say that I have never gone hungry onboard a ship. I can always find something to eat and it's generally been pretty good in my opinion. I think the food is better on NCL than Carnival. I am fairly easy to please though.

27 minutes ago, Ima Desert Diva said:

Lastly, are the beds comfortable!??

I found the bedding to be very comfortable.

This is our first time on Joy, years ago we went on Pride Of America.

We booked a inside, then there was a deal on a sail away balcony, so we took that and we have been given a room on deck 10 mid ship, which should be good. It is hard with a guarantee, but we took the chance.

I have found this site helpful, it doesn't have the Joy, but the Bliss is close to the same and they have menus and prices... https://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-bliss-menus.html

5 hours ago, Ima Desert Diva said:

Are the other specialty restaurants really expensive?  And with the complimentary selections, is the food generally good

The prices in the specialty dining rooms just recently went up. Here are images of the specialty dining from our NCL Jewel cruise July 1 - 8. Sorry for Cagney's being out of focus. Did not notice that until I came home.

Cagneys.jpg