Got an almost free cruise on the JOY - Tell me your NCL tips and secrets please!

Hello fellow cruisers,

I'm absolutely thrilled to be posting on the boards again. After I wrote our Spring break review (on HAL's Nieuw Statendam), I didn't think I'd be cruising for another year or so!

My husband received a crazy offer through his company's parent corporation offering us a virtually free cruise on the Norwegian Joy. He's not able to go, but it was such a steal that I've decided to go with our daughter. She's almost 4 and this will be her 7th cruise. She's working towards platinum status before she can drive. 🙂 I have less than two weeks to plan, and I don't know where to start! I haven't sailed with Norwegian since 2007 and not sure what to expect?

We weren't able to pick a cabin, but I was quite pleased to see that I was assigned to 13138. I love staying aft, and this seems like a great balcony cabin sandwiched between other cabins on decks 12 and 14...I can't believe the JOY has 20 decks?! Does it feel like a mega ship? Long lines and crowds?

A few questions:

*Dining reservations: we'd like to eat in the MDR each night and get a private table for 2 if possible. Is this something I need to try and organize in advance? Does the "Freestyle" mean that we can go into the main dining rooms any time during the opening times? We like to eat earlier - like 5:30 - 6pm so I'm wondering how difficult this will be to secure a table?

*Room Service: is room service still free on NCL? Is there a proper hot breakfast option or just a continental breakfast (toast/boxed cereals) available for room service? Is it acceptable to tip in cash or do we sign a slip on NCL that has a spot for gratuities? Our daily gratuities were pre-paid with the offer we got, but I like to give extra when I order room service whenever possible.

*Is it still allowed to take wine onboard? Is this two bottles per cabin or one per adult? Any information on the bottled water package? Is it worth it?

*It says I have internet included as well as $50/port excursions credit. How does the internet work onboard? Is it adequate in the cabins or do we need to be in a common area? I am off to research the excursions and prices here shortly...

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated! I don't plan to send my daughter to the kids' club, and I probably won't partake in many late night entertainment activities since it's just her and I sailing alone and she goes to bed around 8:30pm or so. But I feel like I'm short on time to peruse all the boards and reviews and would love any suggestions or "must sees and dos"!

Thanks!

Super exciting! Congrats on your great opportunity.

1) I’m pretty sure that for an early dinner you can rock up and expect to get a table for 2 with no problems

2) looks like there’s a $8 service charge for a hot breakfast delivery.  Tips can be in cash 

3) you can bring wine onboard but you will incur $15 corkage fee for each bottle

4) haven’t sailed on Joy so can’t comment on internet 

have an awesome time!!

Edited by tanyaewa

Go to your  cruise planner to make reservations for any shows you might want to see. Otherwise you will have to be in standby.  If she would enjoy any of the early shows and be able to to stay up for them, then do make the reservations for both of you. We just returned from a Disney Cruise with our soon to be four year old granddaughter and she had no problem staying up and enjoying the early 7:30 show. Of course they were Disney shows, but she may enjoy some singing or dancing with the costumes. Not sure what is available on your ship. Just sit by the aisle in case you have to sneak out early. It’s vacation so bedtimes shouldn’t matter when you can both sleep late the next morning. We had a blast with our granddaughter. Enjoy your cruise. 

Mary Ann

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tanyaewa said:

Super exciting! Congrats on your great opportunity.

1) I’m pretty sure that for an early dinner you can rock up and expect to get a table for 2 with no problems

2) looks like there’s a $8 service charge for a hot breakfast delivery.  Tips can be in cash 

3) you can bring wine onboard but you will incur $15 corkage fee for each bottle

4) haven’t sailed on Joy so can’t comment on internet 

have an awesome time!!

Thanks so much! 

Would I pay the corkage fee if I open and consume the wine in my cabin, or only if I take it to the dining room?

3 hours ago, UFMOM said:

Go to your  cruise planner to make reservations for any shows you might want to see. Otherwise you will have to be in standby.  If she would enjoy any of the early shows and be able to to stay up for them, then do make the reservations for both of you. We just returned from a Disney Cruise with our soon to be four year old granddaughter and she had no problem staying up and enjoying the early 7:30 show. Of course they were Disney shows, but she may enjoy some singing or dancing with the costumes. Not sure what is available on your ship. Just sit by the aisle in case you have to sneak out early. It’s vacation so bedtimes shouldn’t matter when you can both sleep late the next morning. We had a blast with our granddaughter. Enjoy your cruise. 

Mary Ann

Thanks! I didn't realize making reservations for shows was a thing! I'll look into this...

I'm not terribly strict with bedtimes on vacation, but regardless of whatever time my kids go to sleep, they still wake up at the exact same time the next morning! No sleeping in! 🤔

Edited by sailawaybellaluna

2 hours ago, sailawaybellaluna said:

Thanks so much! 

Would I pay the corkage fee if I open and consume the wine in my cabin, or only if I take it to the dining room?

You pay regardless of where you consume with NCL.  There is no allowance for a bottle of wine to be brought on for personal consumption like there is with other cruise lines

• Like 1

They charged us corkage as we got on the ship.....

also I believe continental breakfast in the room before 10 has no charge (double-check this...)

Have a wonderful time!!

• Like 1

We just disembarked the Joy a week ago and I pasted my link below! 

We were a family of 4 and had no problem walking up to a main dining room and getting a table even without reservations.  My daughter had made 5:00 reservations at one of the main dining rooms one day but when we showed up, they said that they didn't open until 5:30 :classic_ohmy: !  That really puzzled us!

Does it feel like a mega ship?  Certainly at the buffet!  We had a difficult time finding a table sometimes...especially the first and last days.  Some folks took their plates to the Observation Lounge (the lounge also offers a limited food selection along with a Starbucks and bar).   We had some issues arise during our cruise, so we had to wait in the guest services line a few times (the worst was about a 20 minute wait).  The Observation Lounge can get busy, but we were always able to find a place to sit.  Other than that, we really didn't get a feeling that the ship was sold out even though it was!

We purchased the internet and had pretty good service!   I used it mainly in the room, but also signed on throughout  other areas of the ship.   It was limited in just a few spots in our itinerary but overall, we were pleased with the internet.

Everything is still fresh in my mind...if I can help with anything else, just let me know!

2 hours ago, EpcotMonique said:

We just disembarked the Joy a week ago and I pasted my link below! 

We were a family of 4 and had no problem walking up to a main dining room and getting a table even without reservations.  My daughter had made 5:00 reservations at one of the main dining rooms one day but when we showed up, they said that they didn't open until 5:30 :classic_ohmy: !  That really puzzled us!

Does it feel like a mega ship?  Certainly at the buffet!  We had a difficult time finding a table sometimes...especially the first and last days.  Some folks took their plates to the Observation Lounge (the lounge also offers a limited food selection along with a Starbucks and bar).   We had some issues arise during our cruise, so we had to wait in the guest services line a few times (the worst was about a 20 minute wait).  The Observation Lounge can get busy, but we were always able to find a place to sit.  Other than that, we really didn't get a feeling that the ship was sold out even though it was!

We purchased the internet and had pretty good service!   I used it mainly in the room, but also signed on throughout  other areas of the ship.   It was limited in just a few spots in our itinerary but overall, we were pleased with the internet.

Everything is still fresh in my mind...if I can help with anything else, just let me know!

Thanks so much for providing the link!

• Haha 1