Suggestions for Excursions with 3 year old & zero time to plan

sailawaybellaluna

Hello all!

I unexpectedly was given a nearly free cruise leaving in two weeks on the NCL Joy! I'm absolutely thrilled and so thankful for the opportunity to go. I usually travel with my family (husband and two kids), but due to the last minute nature of this deal, it will just be my daughter and I, making this a girls' trip! She is almost 4 and a great traveler. This will be her 7th cruise. 🙂

We've never been to Alaska and I don't even know where to start with my planning! I usually spent 9 months - year planning our cruises (reading all the reviews and tips on the boards), but I just don't have that much time for this sailing!

We have $50/port excursion credit. I'm usually a DIY traveler when in port, but I'm open to proper excursions. 

I'd love to know your favorite activity or must see in each port. It doesn't necessarily need to be geared towards children - we take our children everywhere with us and they're used to hanging out in adult places (we actually just returned from a wine tasting tour of France ten days ago!!!). That being said, I don't think anything like kayaking or hiking waterfalls would be suitable. 🙂

I'm just grateful for the opportunity to go and experience this gorgeous ship, but at the same time, I would like the opportunity to see beautiful Alaska and would love your suggestions. Our itinerary is as follows:

Sat:  Seattle (Embark) 5pm

Sun: At Sea

Mon: Ketchikan 7am - 3pm

Tue: Juneau 7am - 1:30pm

Scenic Glacier Cruising

Wed: Skagway 7am - 5pm

Thu: At Sea

Fri:  Victoria, BC 4pm - 11:59pm  

Sat: Seattle 6am

Thanks so much!

Skagway, the train should be good.  Not a lot of walking to tire a little one out and lots of scenery.  My kids enjoyed riding on trains.

There is a lumberjack show in Ketchikan.

If you look around much on this site you will find lots of info and spot the post by Maple Leaves.  It has a whole page of sites for info on all the ports.  It is most helpful.

I hope you enjoy your time.  I know that you will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasBorderAussie said:

Skagway, the train should be good.  Not a lot of walking to tire a little one out and lots of scenery.  My kids enjoyed riding on trains.

There is a lumberjack show in Ketchikan.

If you look around much on this site you will find lots of info and spot the post by Maple Leaves.  It has a whole page of sites for info on all the ports.  It is most helpful.

I hope you enjoy your time.  I know that you will.

Thanks so much! I stayed up late last night researching and was debating between the Lumberjack Show or the Duck Tour excursion for Ketchikan. Both seem like they could be a great time for  us!

I will look for the post by Maple Leaves!

2 hours ago, Coral said:

The lumberjack show in Ketchikan will be fun for her. 

There is a junior ranger program in Skagway but she maybe too young: https://www.nps.gov/klgo/learn/kidsyouth/beajuniorranger.htm 

and: https://www.nps.gov/klgo/learn/kidsyouth/families.htm#molliewalsh 

Thanks! I was debating between the lumberjack show or the duck tour! 

For the train, is it the White Pass Scenic Train everyone loves in Skagway? Is it worth trying to book this privately? I was quite shocked to see the cheapest one offered through NCL would be $215 for the two of us. Is it worth that? My daughter has been on lots of trains. 🙂 Although not through the beautiful Alaskan scenery, so I'm open to it!

6 minutes ago, sailawaybellaluna said:

One more question! Are the ports above ones that we can easily access the downtown areas walking from the pier? Or does the ship dock in more rural/industrial areas, requiring us to take taxis or buses downtown?

Thanks for all your help!

Juneau docks are adjacent to downtown.  The tram is right there if you want to go up Mt Roberts and many of the whale watching groups will meet you there.  

5E47298E-E942-4D1E-9685-27EAE1CDB800.jpeg

1 hour ago, sailawaybellaluna said:

Thanks so much! I stayed up late last night researching and was debating between the Lumberjack Show or the Duck Tour excursion for Ketchikan. Both seem like they could be a great time for  us!

I will look for the post by Maple Leaves!

There have been multiple accidents with the dock tour (not in Ketchikan). I have done it and think your daughter would enjoy it. I just don't think they are safe anymore. The Lumberjack show is corny but perfect for kids your daughters age.

Edited by Coral

For the train, is it the White Pass Scenic Train everyone loves in Skagway? Is it worth trying to book this privately? I was quite shocked to see the cheapest one offered through NCL would be $215 for the two of us. Is it worth that? My daughter has been on lots of trains. 🙂 Although not through the beautiful Alaskan scenery, so I'm open to it!

Mixed reactions on this. I have seen adults fall asleep on this on the way back.

Skagway:

You can try to rent a car from Avis and do a drive - you can search for Murray's Guide South Klondike drive and drive to the Yukon. There is sled dogs along the way there. Scenery is beautiful. You will come across some lakes, a desert, etc...  Though there maybe better things to do here.

One more question! Are the ports above ones that we can easily access the downtown areas walking from the pier? Or does the ship dock in more rural/industrial areas, requiring us to take taxis or buses downtown?

Thanks for all your help!

Almost all of the time it is within walking distance. In Juneau, there are some piers that are closer than others but they are all walkable.

Mount Roberts Tram maybe fun for your daughter. Not sure if she is into whale watching or not.