Venice Doge's Palace Tour

It would appear that it is open in May. You can book your tickets through this website (has a service charge of €1.98/per ticket over and above the reservation fee of €3 plus the ticket cost), but this booking service seems to be only taking reservations up to March 2006. They may go on a three month window. I played with the reservations system and was able to get tickets until March 2006 and nothing beyond that. I did put in May 1 and it came up with the message that the museum is closed. But the rest of May came up with simply no response.

http://www.weekendavenezia.com/bigphp/mus.php

On the lower left of this page, you can see that the Secret Itineraries are available all year round except probably holidays. You can also call 011-39-041-520-9070 and purchase tickets over the phone, thus avoiding the €1.98 charge per ticket. I am not sure how soon they will start selling tickets for May.

Thanks for that Mary...We will be in Venice aboard the Brilliance arriving Tuesday May the 30th the ship leaves Wednesday 31st at 5:00pm do you suggest we do the tour tue afternoon of Wed Morning...also can you give me more of an idea of what the tour is...why is it different than the regular doge's palace tour....anything not to be missed.

PS-almost forgot how long is it?

thanks,

Robert

Dear Robert,

It has been 6 years since we did the tour. We happened on it by accident when visiting the Palace. When we were in Venice two years ago (in October) it was not available. If the tour is the same now, it was a very small group, about 10. The delightful guide took you through the "secret rooms" and the best part was the stories she told. Main focus is on Casanova. You go through the prisons and hear many stories of the history surrounding the times they were used. It you have a chance, book in advance. They fill up fast.

Hope you have fun. Venice is our most favorite place.

We did the "Secret" tour in August, 2005 during our Venice stop on Brilliance of the Seas. We purchased our tickets online through the WeekendVenezia website.

We scheduled our tour as our first activity on the second day in Venice--that got us down to Piazza San Marco at the beginning of the day, and provided maximum flexibility to enjoy Venice prior to departure. The tour lasted about 1:15, and you could see the remainder of the palace on your own after the tour.

We enjoyed it--a group of about 12 persons with an English speaking guide. It was definitely sold out for same day tickets when we arrived that morning. If you want to go, I would urge you to purchase the tickets on line.

THANKS

Wow I did not think I would get these much feedback :D ...

Cortesefam....That's just what I was planning thanks for sharing I will definately pre-order the passes online or over the phone....thanks eveyone..

Any opinoins and our day and 1/2 in Venice on what to do?

Robert,

I booked the Accademia and Effizi in Florence by phone a couple weeks ago for our trip in May. Bu I was not able to book the secret tour at that time. They told me that it was available in May but they were not yet taking reservations. She was not able to give me a date to call back...just said to try "later".

Would you let us know when you are able to get the reservations? We will also try again...we prefer the phone reservations, as you don't have to pay until you pick up the tickets. Just in case something happens to delay us.

Thanks, Anita

Mike-thanks for the websites they are very helpful...especiallu the actv site...I plan to use them a lot.

Anita-Thanks for that info..why don't we let each other now if when were able to purchase the tickets for May...Do you have the contact info to purchase Accademia tickets...really appreciate it thanks

Robert

Robert,

For Accademia and Effizi the number is: 011 39 055 294 883

You can book both at the same time. They will give you a reservation number and all you need do is bring that number on the day and time, and pay when you pick up the tickets. I booked for June 4th. I have heard that its a little cheaper this way vs the online reservation. But the reason I choose it was that payment is not due ahead of time. Just in case we are delayed, the itinerary is changed (god forbid!!!) etc.

I'll let you know if I get reservations for the secret Itin. Tour. Our window of opportunity is very small, and there are only a few tours in English per day, so I want to make sure we get them!

Anita

I just book this tour for next August at the following link and it was very quick and easy!

http://www.tours-italy.com/venice/doges_palace.htm

Hi, I just went on this site but was not able to find the "Secret Itinerary Tour". What did you book? The The Doges Palace tour? I wonder what the difference is? The times were different too...

The Secret Itineraries Tour is part of the Doge's Palace tour.

It is a guided tour of the Doge's Palace...lasts more than an hour and affords "privileged insights into the more secret corners of the palace, rooms and passageways not normally accessible to the visiting public".

The tour (in English) is for a maximum of twenty five people, and starts out at the following times only:

September to June: 09.45 AM, 10.45 AM and 11.35 AM

July and August: 09.55 AM and 11.35 AM

The ticket includes entrance to the Doge's Palace, where you can remain after the tour.

It has great reviews on these boards.

Robert...we called and they said they are not taking reservations by phone until Feb 15....so mark your calender!

Anita

Just to clarify a bit on what Anita said above. The Secret Itineraries tour does indeed include admission to the Doge's Palace, and you can stay afterwards to "tour" the Palace on your own. I believe private companies also offer guided tours of the Palace, but these are NOT the Secret Itineraries tour, which is offered only through the palace itself.

If you're going to book the Secret Itin tour do it for the morning!!! We ended up having lunch at the cafeteria inside the Palace and spending a couple more hours just walking through this magnificent building!!!

If you're going to book the Secret Itin tour do it for the morning!!! We ended up having lunch at the cafeteria inside the Palace and spending a couple more hours just walking through this magnificent building!!!

We are planning to go with the first tour (9:55 a.m.) and I was wondering what time we need to get off the ship to make it there on time? We will be on the Carnival Liberty, and we will be doing this on the second day our ship is in port. I understand that it will be quicker if we take the Alilaguna, but cheaper if we took the vaporetto. I read a review where they left the ship at 8:15 a.m., walked to the closest vaporetto stop, and just barely made it for their 9:55 a.m. Secret Itineraries Tour. By the way, I called yesterday to book reservations for June 2006, and they told me they were taking reservations only until March 31, 2006 for now. She suggested I call back in March to see if they will be acceptaing reservations for June by then.

You can do day trips to Vicenza or Verona from Venice. Using the train for the day might be easier than renting a car.

If anyone wants to do the Secret Tour of Doge's Palace while they are staying in a hotel in Venice before/after cruise, email the hotel concierge and they will reserve a ticket for you that you can pick up when you go for the tour.

Mike-thanks for the websites they are very helpful...especiallu the actv site...I plan to use them a lot.

Anita-Thanks for that info..why don't we let each other now if when were able to purchase the tickets for May...Do you have the contact info to purchase Accademia tickets...really appreciate it thanks

Robert

Robert,

Have you had any luck booking the SI tour in Venice. We are trying to book for the end of May. We called yesterday and was told they are not taking reservations for April or May till the end of March.

I also posted a new thread asking if anyone has been able to get these reservations yet.

Anita

Archived