Boarding pass help

ETski

Just printed my doc's and boarding pass. Generally on other lines their is a bar code on the pass. On our Holland America boarding pass it just say Boarding pass and our name, state room etc. Is this correct or did I not print everything? Its been 30 yrs since I cruised Holland.LOL

Also, I kind of miss the days when we got that lovely packet in the mail.  Even thought most of it was wasted trees, there was something kind of exciting about getting cruise "tickets", and all.  Much more romantic than printing off "docs" which, as I said, they rarely ask to see, if ever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JOHN 57 said:

we are eagerly waiting on our boarding pass in 11 days.  We sail on Volendam 18 September 2019

Oops! Editing because I stupidly mis-read your post, sorry!  😊

Edited by Moriah

2 hours ago, Moriah said:

Chances are nobody will ask for your so-called "boarding pass". 

At  FLL we have been asked for a boarding pass at the main gate a couple of times (when driving our own car) and once when entering terminal 21.

Edited by catl331

A printed Boarding Pass is suggested for the security personnel who allow you into the terminal, or in some ports... anywhere near the ship.  It makes no difference if there is a bar code or not they just check the ship and date to allow access.

Whether the check-in agent scans or enters your stateroom number takes about the same amount of time.

David

9 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

A printed Boarding Pass is suggested for the security personnel who allow you into the terminal, or in some ports... anywhere near the ship.  It makes no difference if there is a bar code or not they just check the ship and date to allow access.

Whether the check-in agent scans or enters your stateroom number takes about the same amount of time.

David

We too have had to show our boarding pass to enter the various terminals, and as one poster mentioned we took a taxi into Port Everglades and had to show boarding pass just to get inside the port area.  When there is more than one ship in port staff really like to see boarding pass to make sure you are in correct line.  We have also had to show it to security people with our passports to get in the line for the luggage screening.  I also just also print the first page, the boarding pass to save on paper.

20 hours ago, Moriah said:

Also, I kind of miss the days when we got that lovely packet in the mail.  Even thought most of it was wasted trees, there was something kind of exciting about getting cruise "tickets", and all.  Much more romantic than printing off "docs" which, as I said, they rarely ask to see, if ever. 

I'm with you. I understand why they don't send them out any more; but it was always an exciting time when the TA called and said, "Your docs are in!" I also liked the pouches they came in. First leather, then pleather, then fabric. Ah, the "good old days."

• Like 1

.....not to mention the 2 1/2 inch diameter pins that you were supposed to wear!

I don' t miss them, but the large luggage tags with specific colors and ship names was helpful to airport staff.  They didn't  rip off, crumble if dampened, or come in only one generic color now.

David

2 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

.....not to mention the 2 1/2 inch diameter pins that you were supposed to wear!

I don' t miss them, but the large luggage tags with specific colors and ship names was helpful to airport staff.  They didn't  rip off, crumble if dampened, or come in only one generic color now.

David

We fold the luggage tags as directed, then use clear packing tape (large size) to "wrap" the boarding pass.  Now the pass is rain-proof, tear-proof.  If you're staying in a hotel prior to the cruise, especially in FLL, the check-in desk will loan you a stapler to attach the tags.

OP, even though you may not need the pass, it's best to have it just in case.  You don't want to be in a situation where you don't have it and are asked to produce it.  We've always ridden to the port in a taxi, so we've been asked to show our passes to security at the port entry gate.  Several times, the agents at the pier have asked to see the pass for access to the security area in the terminal before check-in.  

Have a lovely cruise.

Edited by sevenseasnomad
To type the response!