Excursion advice - Nova Scotia

Hello,  My husband and I are booked on an RCL cruise departing Quebec September 16.  While we have cruised many times to Caribbean, Alaska, etc., this will be our first New England Cruise.  We would love to see some of the beautiful New England scenery away from the cities at one or two of the ports.  We don't typically book ship excursions but that is certainly an option.  On other cruises there are usually an abundance of tour operators greeting you when disembarking at the port, so it is easy to grab an excursion that was not booked in advance.  Would appreciate advice on which port or two would be the best to book a scenic excursion and if it is highly advised to book in advance.  Our ports are Charlotte Town, Halifax, St John and Sydney.  Thanks for any advice you are willing to share.

You will need to book in advance for Sydney. More information for Sydney.

In Halifax you can tour on your own in the city. Or you can rent a car and go to Lunenburg OR Peggy's Cove or other places. There may be taxis at the dock in Halifax and group tour busses but these are not the best options. You are unlikely to find vetted private tour operators at the dock.  More information for Halifax.

For Charlottetown I recommend renting a car. There are also a couple private tour operators which you would need to book ahead. Some information for Charlottetown.

You can also do a google search and find Tom's Port Guides.

Will you be able to spend any time in Quebec City before your ship departs?  The Old City (along the river and below the plain high above it where the "modern" city is) is where ships dock so walking around that area is interesting.  There are usually walking tours one can join (I've always done it on my own).  We've been to Halifax several times, but have yet to visit Peggy's Cover as there are so many other (and less crowded) sites to enjoy such as the Historic Museum close to where the ships dock and the Public Gardens are beautiful (would need a taxi--as it's quite a "hike" uphill from the dock).  Once you're up there, the Citadel isn't too far away and on the same level (great views from there).  In St. John, the city is quite close to where ships dock so one can just walk into town.  And there are tours offered both for the city and areas of interest outside the city.  From Charlottetown you can visit the "Anne of Green Gables" house (it's on the opposite side of the island from the port so need to rent a car or take a tour).  Enjoy your cruise!