Cabin upgrade query

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone's had any experience upgrading from a single occupancy room to a balcony cabin? I'm not fussed about the cost of it as I've not had a holiday this year, but the only option online seems to be to downgrade from an outside to an inside or vice versa, even when booking there's no option to pick a cabin and pay the extra.

I've tried calling them and got nowhere as the person on the end of the phone thought I was trying to book a single occupancy balcony cabin and kept telling me they didn't have those - which I'm well aware of. I tried emailing too for a price and if it's possible but only been told they can't give a price as it could change between the quote and me booking (fair enough) and they just ignored the other bit about if it's possible.

Next step is to go to a store to discuss in person but I don't really live that close to one so would be a bit of a journey, one I'm not really fussed for taking if it's not possible.

Marella don't normally sell a cabin designated for double or greater occupancy to a solo cruiser. If there is a chance that the cabin concerned could be sold to two people they won't sell. It has been done but is quite rare. If they do agree to sell you the cabin you will pay the full price for double occupancy.

It is a fact that on average cruise lines make less profit from a cabin occupied by one person and having cabins designated for single occupancy is how Marella limit the number of single bookings to about 3.3% of the cabins on their latest ships. Other cruise lines use different methods. For example I believe P&O have a hidden percentage limit, you can book a balcony but there is only availability if that limit has not been reached.

You need to make contact with someone higher up the management chain to get anywhere and maybe better if the cruise is a unpopular one nearer sailing date when they might be happy to sell a cabin rather than have it empty

I did contact them via email and they said it was possible but when I phoned they said it wasn't. So I replied to the email and then was told they'd added a note to my file so when I called again they'd know what I was talking about.

So I called again and after a near on 40 minute phone call - at least 30 of which I was on hold - I was told it wasn't possible because I had insurance. Insurance I'd added via the booking on their website. So I was told I'd have to call Axa to cancel the insurance to call back to upgrade to then add the insurance again.

It's an utter shambles in all honesty that I couldn't just book a balcony cabin straight away so I've cancelled my booking with them and will probably go with Royal Caribbean, who do allow you to book a balcony cabin online.