Need some logistical help for my post cruise stay

haras

Hi All,

We (my bf and I) are on the NCL Sun March 4th-11th from Miami. In order to get our questions answered, I'm going to list my itinerary. It may seem kooky, but we're flying roundtrip from LAX to Orlando on the red-eye on Thursday night (3-2-06) and arrive around 7 am Friday morning. It was the relatively inexpensive while allowing us to fly on our preferred carried b/c of the ability to upgrade. Anyway, since the cruise is out of Miami, we're staying in Orlando Friday night, and checking out early Saturday morning to drive down to Miami.

My first question is what time would you begin leaving Orlando in order to have a nice leisurely drive down to Miami? I mapquested it, and it looks to be a 3-4 hour drive, which we don't mind at all.

We're in a mini suite so I know we have the priority boarding. I would like to be on board between 1-3. I've reserved a car from Alamo and heard they have a downtown location which is only a 5 minute cab ride away.

After the cruise, b/c neither of us have been to Miami, I did a priceline purchase for Miami Beach and got the Sheraton Bal Harbour ($155). I was sad to hear that there were bad reviews of the hotel (from tripadvisor), but it's too late to change, so we're going to have to suck it up. I just wanted a decent hotel in Miami so I'm satisfied with the purchase. Our flight doesn't leave from Orlando until Sunday the 12th of March around 6 pm.

My second question is....what is the most cost effective way to get from the port to the Sheraton? We will have a car for the drive up to Orlando, but since our flight doesn't leave until 6 pm, I'm hoping to pick up a vehicle around 4 pm (on Sat) so we can keep the charge to a one day rental-returning it to MCO before our flight.

Is there anything to do nearby the port in terms of 'must see, must do in miami port area' and if so, is there a place for us to store our luggage before we pick up our rental? I contacted the Sheraton, and I think there is a shuttle so I wouldn't be opposed to just taking the shuttle to the hotel as well. What would you do? I know the hotel also charges for parking, so I'm still torn between picking up a vehicle on Sunday morning before we leave to Orlando. OR is the hotel so out of the way that we should just get a car directly from the port so we have a way to get around Miami?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

My first question is what time would you begin leaving Orlando in order to have a nice leisurely drive down to Miami? I mapquested it, and it looks to be a 3-4 hour drive, which we don't mind at all.

I'm glad to see your driving down the day before your cruise. There is less traffic driving out of Orlando then driving in so that's not an issue. If it were up to me I'd leave no later then 10am.

We're in a mini suite so I know we have the priority boarding. I would like to be on board between 1-3. I've reserved a car from Alamo and heard they have a downtown location which is only a 5 minute cab ride away.

I'm glad you switched to Avis. They truly have a downtown location 5 minutes from the pier. The Alamo location is actually at the airport and it's more like 20 minutes away. IMHO boarding is busiest between 1 -3 but with your priority boarding that shouldn't be an issue. We were on the Sun last year, arrived at 11am and were on the line for the buffet before noon.

After the cruise, b/c neither of us have been to Miami, I did a priceline purchase for Miami Beach and got the Sheraton Bal Harbour ($155). I was sad to hear that there were bad reviews of the hotel (from tripadvisor), but it's too late to change, so we're going to have to suck it up. I just wanted a decent hotel in Miami so I'm satisfied with the purchase. Our flight doesn't leave from Orlando until Sunday the 12th of March around 6 pm.

You'll be fine at the Sheraton. Take the reviews with a grain of salt. I've heard more positives about the property then negatives.

My second question is....what is the most cost effective way to get from the port to the Sheraton? We will have a car for the drive up to Orlando, but since our flight doesn't leave until 6 pm, I'm hoping to pick up a vehicle around 4 pm (on Sat) so we can keep the charge to a one day rental-returning it to MCO before our flight.

Taxi is your best bet.

Is there anything to do nearby the port in terms of 'must see, must do in miami port area' and if so, is there a place for us to store our luggage before we pick up our rental? I contacted the Sheraton, and I think there is a shuttle so I wouldn't be opposed to just taking the shuttle to the hotel as well. What would you do? I know the hotel also charges for parking, so I'm still torn between picking up a vehicle on Sunday morning before we leave to Orlando. OR is the hotel so out of the way that we should just get a car directly from the port so we have a way to get around Miami?

There are no car rental offices at the port. The closest is the downtown Miami Avis location. I'm surprised to hear the hotel offers a shuttle from the port but if that's the case go for it and save the cab fare. For the extra money I would rent the car for both days. Besides, weekend rental rates are usually discounted anyway. When you pick it up you can secure your luggage in the trunk and have the whole day to scope out the greater Miami area.

Have a great visit. ;)

haras,

If I understand you correctly, you are flying to Orlando (redeye Thurs-Fri) the day before your cruise out of Miami on Saturday. This is great. But, I would leave Orlando around 8AM Saturday morning (DH says 7am LOL) for the "leisurely" drive down to Miami to get to the port at least by noon. You never know about traffic or road conditions and there are at least 6 or 7 other ships in port at the same time so there will be traffic there too. This will give you a 4 hour window before sailaway whereas if you left at 10am and arrived around 1 or 2, you would only have a 2 hour window for emergencies. Just my humble opinion and experience.

haras, I see you are from Torrance. We are to originally...go Saxons (North HS)! We now live in OC and even when we cruise out of San Diego, we go down the night before just to CYA. If it were me, since you are arriving Friday am on a red-eye, do your drive that day to Miami and get a hotel there. Rest up, see the area, have a nice dinner, then you won't have the stress of driving down before you cruise. Again, just my most humble opinion and experience.

I forgot to add, I grew up in Florida and have done the drive.

Most important....have a wonderful cruise.

Teresa

I would allow at least 4 hours from Orlando to Miami just to be safe, and even then you never know if you're going to have a problem. Leave as early as you possibly can! If it were ME, I would want to be on the road at 7am, but I like to be on the ship by noon... I'd much rather be way early though than have a problem and get there just in time to see the ship sailing away! :eek:

Sheraton Bal Harbour is a very nice hotel, but it's 45 minutes or so from the port. Personally I would just rent a car at the same Avis location you dropped the first car off at and drive up there, there's no where to store your luggage other than at the hotel or in the trunk of the car, and what you save by not renting it until 4pm you will spend on cabs... Rent it at the downtown location and have it over with.

I'm glad to see your driving down the day before your cruise. There is less traffic driving out of Orlando then driving in so that's not an issue. If it were up to me I'd leave no later then 10am.

I misread your post, thought your cruise left on Sunday and you were traveling to the port the day before. Now that I realize your driving down the same day nix the 10am departure, I concur with the other posters, leave Orlando no later then 7am. ;)

Thanks for all your tips. I'm especially glad to hear that there are more positives than negatives for the Sheraton. One of the reviews said the Sheraton was closing some time this year and that was why their services have been declining? Anyway, for the price I got, I'm more than content as I have heard some of the hotels in South Beach are much more $$$.

I'm a west girl myself, but yeah, I love being in torrance. I also have some family in Fountain Valley. They live nearby Miles square park in the neighborhood where the homes get decked out with lights for christmas time. Nice area!

Thanks for your suggestion, but it's too late to change our hotel since I booked it through Hotwire. I figured that since we're flying all night on Thursday, we wouldn't be up for a 4 hour drive right when we arrived. So I got us a hotel at the Radisson nearby Disneyworld. That way, if we're lucky, we'll be able to check in fairly early and rest up and explore Orlando for a day.

I'm going to listen to all the concurring recommendations to leave no later than 7 am on Saturday morning. That way, we have PLENTY of time in case of any mishaps. My bf is the biggest procrastinator in the world, so if it were up to him, we'd leave at 1pm. (luckily i have the proof from all you helpful people to leave early)

Thanks again for all your helpful advice!

I think we're going to just get the car as we leave the ship, as you recommended. I had no idea the Sheraton was 45 minutes away! We received a quote for the car rental at $45/day so I'm sure we'd save much more money doing it this way as opposed to taxiing around everywhere.

If it were up to me, I would be the first person on the ship, but alas, I won't be driving. I do the planning, he's the bag carrier and driver. ;) This is why I like to get opinions from CC member so I have 'proof'

I just print out all the helpful responses and say "see....the cruisecritic people said to leave NO LATER than 8 am." then there's no need to argue or whine on my part. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help!

True the Sheraton Bal Harbour is closing in June. It's going to be torn down and replaced with a more upscale, very expensive St. Regis Hotel. It's still a VERY nice hotel though, and WELL worth the $155 per night. That's a great price. You'll pay 3-4 times that for a comparable South Beach hotel in March!

Bal Harbour is the most upscale area of the beach, it's GORGEOUS, but with traffic it's a long way from the port. You'll save a lot of money by just renting a car near the port when you get off the ship.

If you want to do some shopping while there, Bal Harbour Shops are just across the street from the Sheraton... Bring MONEY, lots and LOTS of money!!! ;) http://www.balharbourshops.com/

Yes, from Orlando take the Turnpike south to the Golden Glades interchange, then I-95 south to downtown Miami and follow the signs to the Port of Miami.

Blue - 836 goes from I-95 west to the airport, it's I-395 that goes from I-95 east, across the MacArthur Causeway to South Beach (same freeway, but the number changes at I-95). Yes, you can exit I-95 onto I-395 east, then get off on Biscayne Blvd. south to the port.

Archived