Self-Walking food tour

Henry325

Lots of options for "bar hopping"- but you will more lean towards the appetizers- which isn't a bad thing.  Some classic ones you should try- tostones (fried plantain), sorullito de maiz (fried corn meal fritters), you should be able to share a plate of carne frita (fried pork chunks).  Other fried things like Empanadillas- which may be pastillio in San Juan (I know them from Ponce), or alcapurrias, or even some ceviche...

Any drink with rum will go with it- Pina Colada, Cuba Libre, Mojito, etc will match well- but try to get Don Q instead of Bacardi.

Hard to suggest a specific place to try all of that- as we've had some of each at most of the bars and restaurants we've been to in San Juan.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Breakfast..... Mallorca's at Cafe Mallorca, La Bombonera or Choco Bar.

Happy hour... drinks and food .... definitely at the roof top restaurant above the Milano Hotel.

I know you go to San Juan a lot, so I'll suggest to you that there's more to eat and drink than just the Hotel Milano.  As good as it is, it's not the only place to recommend... 🙂

9 hours ago, alfaeric said:

I know you go to San Juan a lot, so I'll suggest to you that there's more to eat and drink than just the Hotel Milano.  As good as it is, it's not the only place to recommend... 🙂

It's the place we like and recommend it. Thanks for your suggestion but I'll stick to recommending Hotel Milano roof top...Feel free to recommend any other places you like though as I certainly won't take the time to disagree. 

But you took the time to post this thinking it was necessary...Hmmm :classic_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

It's the place we like and recommend it. Thanks for your suggestion but I'll stick to recommending Hotel Milano roof top...Feel free to recommend any other places you like though as I certainly won't take the time to disagree. 

But you took the time to post this thinking it was necessary...Hmmm :classic_rolleyes:

For sure, I'm not at all saying that the restaurant is not one to recommend.  It is, indeed, really good.  

I'm just suggesting getting out more.  There are some really great ones up on Calle Sol.  And on our last trip, we walked into one of the restaurants at the back of one of the tourists shops, and were quite surprised how good it was.  And we went there because our friend, who lives on Calle Sol, suggested doing that.

Next time we are there with her, I'm going to ask about a good place for a beginner- as my wife is pretty happy with letting Raices represent her favorite food to beginners.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 2:53 AM, Ashland said:

Breakfast..... Mallorca's at Cafe Mallorca, La Bombonera or Choco Bar.

Happy hour... drinks and food .... definitely at the roof top restaurant above the Milano Hotel.

The roof top restaurant looks like it would be worthwhile going for the views alone.  Do they actually have a happy hour with drink specials?  We've been to SJ quite a few times but haven't gone here yet but with three nights pre-cruise coming up, we're going to explore. 

To the OP, I know that it's probably overrated but when we first walked into Barrachinas, we were surprised that they have an open air courtyard after you go through the front door.  It's also where the pina colada was to have originated.  Since I don't care for coconut, the bartender made me a mojito with Bacardi rather than Don Q which is what I would normally order in PR.  He thought it made a better mojito.  Who was I to argue?  

2 hours ago, MartinsCruise said:

The roof top restaurant looks like it would be worthwhile going for the views alone.  Do they actually have a happy hour with drink specials?  We've been to SJ quite a few times but haven't gone here yet but with three nights pre-cruise coming up, we're going to explore. 

To the OP, I know that it's probably overrated but when we first walked into Barrachinas, we were surprised that they have an open air courtyard after you go through the front door.  It's also where the pina colada was to have originated.  Since I don't care for coconut, the bartender made me a mojito with Bacardi rather than Don Q which is what I would normally order in PR.  He thought it made a better mojito.  Who was I to argue?  

I would not hesitate to give him a hard time.  Bacardi is Cuban rum, Don Q is Puerto Rican.  If not Don Q, it should have been Ron Barrilito, which is also Puerto Rican.  

9 hours ago, MartinsCruise said:

Yes, they have happy hour specials ..... two for one.....great Mojito's !!!!!

3 hours ago, MartinsCruise said:

That sounds perfect to me!  Do you know what time happy hour is?

Happy Hour starts when they open at 11:30am and ends at 5:00pm...So plenty of time to enjoy a few Mojitos :classic_tongue:

Try their nacho's with your drinks...yummy !

Edited by Ashland